Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a '94 Clio 1.2 which after a couple of months has developed a 'ticky' noise whilst running. The noise is there at idle and increases with speed. Engine is good with perfectly coloured plugs, fresh oil etc. no running problems at all (110k on the clock). Have we anything to worry about; do I bother checking valve clearances etc. or just leave it be ?:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums GrantW.

I'm sure a Member will be able to offer you some advice shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Ticky engine

What ticks and hangs on the wall "ticky wallpaper BOOM BOOM"
Seriously though - these engines tend to get noisy around the top end (worn valve gear, wide tappets, etc) - it's not unusual when they start to get 75000 plus miles on them - unless its really noisy and you don't thrash it it will probably soldier on for many moons yet. But if your concerned get a decent machanic to have a listen. I have seen these engines with well over 100k and when the tappets are adjusted - they only stay quiet for a short while. Adjusting the tappets won't undo the wear. You get to a situation where its no longer cost effective - the repair outways the value of the car.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The valve clearances won't cost much to have checked,so I'd have them done anyway.At least then you'd know that the noise isn't anything to be overly concerned about.It would put you mind at rest.....:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'94 1.2 Clio 'Tick' outcome and more....

Firstly, further to my post last night regarding the Clio engine 'tick'...well, I checked the valve clearances and lo and behold found one rocker clamp bolt (hollow) loose in the hole with the thread stripped. Wrapped some aluminium tape around it and pushed home (leaving oil holes free). Engine was noticeably quieter upon restarting ! Thanks to all that replied.

Secondly, there is a good deal of engine movement and whilst working away today noticed the RHS top engine mounting has a good inch of play between the square rubber locator and the surrounding casting - is this normal and how should it look if not ? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts