Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In cold and damp weather the Safrane usually seriously overfuels, rough running at 600 - 1000rpm with vibration (the back box rubbers broke yesterday) and strong half burned fuel smell from exhaust. The plugs are all sooty black. When hot or cold and dry and covered in frost (-1 degree) it starts perfectly! Have replaced the air reg valve, ECU coolant sensor and HT leads but no better. Looking perhaps to a vacuum leak or earth problem - the tailgate wiper and reversing lights are also playing up. Grateful please for any other ideas to keep me busy over the weekend! Many thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would maybe try a coolant temp sensor,it tells the ECU how much fuel to supply,depending on weather the car is hot or cold,if the plays up the car over fuels,very common on old clios.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As for the rear wiper/reversing lights,check the tailgate loom where it goes from the tailgate to the main body at the top of the tailgate,wires can break..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safrane 2.2vi Overfuelling

Many thanks for the replies, impressive response! I did change the coolant sensor and tested the resistance of the old one which was normal according to my old Renault 25 Haynes Manual (I had an '84 25GTX for 14 years). Also the air filter was changed at last oil change and made a big difference to the performance - the old one was certainly dirty. I realise that it could well be a bad connection, but any more hints on where to look first would be helpful. Otherwise I will have to try and find someone who still has the diagnostic kit to talk to old Safranes - probably not easy and certainly expensive if it has to be a Renault main dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Many thanks for the replies, impressive response! I did change the coolant sensor and tested the resistance of the old one which was normal according to my old Renault 25 Haynes Manual (I had an '84 25GTX for 14 years). Also the air filter was changed at last oil change and made a big difference to the performance - the old one was certainly dirty. I realise that it could well be a bad connection, but any more hints on where to look first would be helpful. Otherwise I will have to try and find someone who still has the diagnostic kit to talk to old Safranes - probably not easy and certainly expensive if it has to be a Renault main dealer.
problem with diagnostics is if its a sensor giving a false reading within the tolerances the ecu can accept as normal a reading, it may not show up as an error.
Im sure a more technical member will be able to help you more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts