Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 97 1.4 Manual Megane with electronic speedo. Unfortunatly the speedo has stopped working and the EML has come on. I noticed in the engine compartment an exposed damaged sensor which I think is the speedo sensor. See pictures below.

http://www.brownjl.co.uk/speedo/

I am hoping to aquire a new sensor tomorrow but I am having trouble removing this one. I heard there are two types one that just pull out and one with a clip, I can't see a clip and Ive tried giving it a tug and it wont move :S. Can anyone offer any advice on removing it please?

Once i have removed this is just a matter of pushing a new one in?

Cheers

James

-----

I originally accidently posted my request for help in the knowledge base instead of here :S I will update that post with a how to fix with pictures once ive solved my problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an Update

Well there is a pin which easily pulled out, then I could pull the sensor out...

I got a replacement from Renault looked ever so slightly different but they did say it would fit it had just been improved.

Now here is my problem, I have tried pushing it back in but it wont go all the way in I can still slightly see the top rubber oil seal I dont want to push it any harded and break it, so any hints on this?

Tried the car anyway and the speedo is now working but "slowly" - so i think it is almost there, just got to get the pin back in....

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like ill have to take this to renault, unless anyone can sugest anywhere that will sort it in the lancaster area?

I cant seem to get it seated correctly to get the pin in, looks like its producing from the gearbox a couple of mil more that the old one....

Thanks anyway

James

·
Banned
910 Posts
did you manage to sort this problem and did changing sensor cure it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it seemed to solve it just a matter of a little more presure to see it home. Not sure how well it lasted though as I upgraded it to a laguna a week later..

Cheers,

James

·
Banned
910 Posts
how much did you pay for the sensor as mine miraculously fixed itself now its gone again so def think its the sensor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ISorry can't really remember, i think it was less than £30... very expensive for what it is though....

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts