Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks :)

Very long story and I'll cut short, well as short as I can.

Been offered a 1997 vintage Rover 400 saloon with the (erm) mighty 1.4 K series engine. One (now) elderly owner from new, full service history and 70k miles on't clock. Garaged from new, no corrosion no dents etc etc. For nothing! Its even got T&T!

Well. I was looking at a car change recently but thanks to the government, changing cars has had to be put back yet again (longer story). Its probably less practical than the Cav (being a saloon) but maybe cheaper to run? I think you can still get bits for them... Tempted. Very tempted in fact...

But I'd be mad to, wouldn't I? :)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
You would be mad not to, you could always sell it on if you don't use it.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
As long as you check for the usual signs of HGF you'd be mad not to grab it!

I'll have it if you don't want :D I'd even pay for it..lol

Andy.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Cheap tax,cheap insurance,free car......yes Bob,take it!.

They are a surprisingly good car in fact......Uhm......did I say that out loud?.:d

·
Universal
2,026 Posts
I'm afraid you did Lag...

I would take anything that's free and has Tax and MOT. You can get some use out of it, and if you don't think it will pass it's next test you can just scrap it for a bit of pocket money :)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Bob,

I have to agree with everyone else. If it's free take it and get some use out of it. If it's not the car for you, or it does turn out to need some money spent on it soon, sell it on or bin it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take the car the Rover 400 is a good car much better than the press said. If the HG needs doing get it done [ there's a new headgasket out that does not go, so the problem wont reappear] change cambelt and pre tensioners at the same time. You wont regret having the Rover.

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ayup folks :)

Apologies for lack of updates here, been quite busy and stuff (was Jessicas 3rd birthday yesterday how time flies :eek:)

Anyway I now have two glorious weeks off ahead of me from about, ooh, half an hour since :d I already have a beer in me hand!

So, the Rover. I've said before I'm a fan of British rubbish (I think) I like Rovers (must be the Alan Partridge in me) all being well we're off for a look at it tomorrow or Tuesday. Sounds promising doesn't it? Alas it'll probably not be for me though, although if it's a good un it will be coming into the family. My father in law has had an awful lot of toruble of late with his Astra G 1.7 TD (he hates it) and its been a pig. With him/them being in an even worse financial situation that us then the sensible thing to do would be to let him have the Rover... well it is a Honda in all but badge and (sorry this is the old cliche but) Hondas are for old people :sofa: In fact, Rovers even more so!

But if its really really nice then I might let him have the Chavvy (being an ex-taxi driver he loves my car!) and I'll take the Rover. Head gaskets being one of my favourite types of engine disaster areas IIRC the 1.4 K wasn't nearly as prone for failure as the 1.8 I'm pretty sure, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'll have a look first and see :) I'll let you know!

EDIT: on tut subject of Rovers I've been looking at the new MG6 and read a review or two. Shame it looks like any other (Korean) car, will it revive the MG brand? I hope so! But doubt it will they're launching it with a highly polluting K series derived petrol lump and no diesel - bad idea!!!

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plot thickens.

Fixed father in laws Astra G diesel today. The fuel filter was kaput! Well it turns out he's been using rubbish chip fat type gunk in it, the fuel filter was disgusting, and the rags I used when cleaning out the housing came out yellow. Now last time I saw diesel it were not yellow! Gross. Anyway, cleaned out filter housing filled up with some nice normal and pricey diesel and a bit of priming later and after a cloud of white smoke, some serious diesel knock the Astra seemed OK. Made him happy, and me cross. Fill it up with Bl00dy diesel!!!!!!!!! I said! He promised a 50/50 mix in the future. :rolleyes: It's actually not a bad old car that Astra, but running it on what he's been running it on it'll soon die I think.

He still wants said 400, but I've made proper contact with the current owner (I'll admit it was chinese whispers before today) and found out a wee bit more. Yes the car is low miler, service history and its only T&T'd for a flippin year! And so I now "proper" want it for myself. Though she's not the freebie I was promised, they're looking at getting £200-250ish. Which, frankly, is a bargain. So tomorrow I will be going to have a look. With a years ticket and the precious road fund on board its got to be worth it. And the scrap I'll get for the Cavalier will cover most of the cost of the Rover should I decide I do want it. If I don't father in law will still have it, as a second car forwhen his Astra breaks down (again). :rofl:

Only thing is Cav's got a full tank of jungle juice at the mo so I'm going to have to syphon it across somehow... Though with it doing 28mpg I could burn it off on a short drive :rolleyes: Anyway, anything is possible :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Bob,

Its not my type of car....sorry mate:d its just not, i just can't bring myself to say to you yes take it even though it is free, know knowing its not thats only a decision you can make:devil:,

But i wish you all the best in what ever you decide to do and if it turns out you buy it? i hope it serves you as well as the Cav has,

Cheers Don

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not my type of car either, not ever considered going near one. I like Rovers, always have liked BL-Rover etc etc stuff. I think its a genetic link from my Dad who always religiously bought BL cars from being a teenager :eek: But a Rover for me personally well I'd take a Rover 200 BRM or one of the later MG ZR/S models. But well as a cheapie and basically mode of transport for a bit its got to be worth a go. Yes the Cavalier has served me very very well over the last three years, but she's 17 now and really she's on borrowed time now. The Cav was only supposed to last a year or so so has done me very well for the pittance it cost me to buy!

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rover not what I thought unfortunately :(

I think its a case of "chinese whispers" - I got vague info about what it was, so had to contain some dispapointment when I saw it.

It is a Rover 400, 1.4 16v in red. Not a 97 though, a 93 'K' Reg. So the old old old shape (which I hasten to add I prefer to the later 400/45s). 48k miles on the clock. Full service history, 11 months MOT, no tax (tax being cashed in by present owner), and a month old clutch! Mint condition inside and out but needs at least an exhaust back box (and tax!). No PAS either. Yes I drove it of course, and it drives lovely, nicer than the Cav :eek:

Not for me, too old, no PAS as I'm a wimp, no tow bar... Father in Law seems keen so I've left it with him really (haven't spoken to him since so I have no idea wether he's gone for it). Also the, uhm, elderly lady owner had jumped the price from free to £200ish to £400 :eek: I suspect family involvement/meddling ;) So deffo not for me then, it's not worth that! It is a nice car though.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm....definately not all it promised to be then Bob.:(

Oh well,the Cav lives on for a while longer.:)

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep very true Lag.

Lesson learned - don't listen to your Mum! The car was one of my Mums friends, hence the chinese whispers rubbish :rolleyes: Never mind :)

I think she confused the K for an R on the reg! As for the rest, I have no idea.

·
Administrator
13,238 Posts
Hmmm sometimes these things ARE too good to be true.. Sorry to hear it bob!! :(

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not bothered really. Though had it been free as originally mentioned to me, I couldn't have taken it for nothing (I'm too nice, me) what with the general condition of it etc. It is a good car yet these days totally worthless. It even had a full tank of petrol worth at least £70by my reckoning!

The amusing bit though is I had to take my 3 year old along with me to look at the car. She made generally disparaging comments about the Rover (this is a yukky car, Dad...) throughout and sighed relief when I strapped her car seat back into the Cav. Top used car buying tip - for honest advice take a three year old with you :d

·
Administrator
13,238 Posts
Ha ha ha. They don't mince their words!! But they also don't have any sense of subtlety... Ha ha :d

1 - 18 of 18 Posts