Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1998 Clio I, 1.2 with an annoying noisy droning sound problem

going back to the begining of the story.....

About 3 years ago, on long journey with fully loaded car, it started making a loud whine or droning sound in the last 20 miles or so. Thought it must have been the wheel bearings so took it to the garage the next morning. The checked it out, couldnt replicate the problem, checked the bearings and were all fine. Problem went away, we forgot about it

Then about 1 year ago, the same thing, on a journey fully loaded car, same loud drone. Took straight to garage without stopping, mechanic and I took car out, and problem had dissapeared again. :crazy:

About 1 month ago, the same thing again, this time 3 people in the car. decided to wait to check it was still happening, noise continued on every journey (regardless of how many people in car) so took it back to different garage. They took it out, heard the noise, said it didnt sound like a wheel bearing, decided it was from front left wheel (it is really hard to pinpoint where it is coming from, it sounds like it is coming from a different place every where you sit)

They took the wheels off, checked out the bearings, brakes, suspension, drive shafts & tyres all were ok without problems. They took it out for another test drive and the problem had gone away again. (presumably something they poked or proded or tightned sorted it):steam:

A couple of weeks later it came back again.

here is the low down.

Only happens after about 6-8 miles of driving

only happens above about 30 MPH

noise doesnt change particularly with speed, it is intermittent at 30-40mph, but above that sounds the same

when going over a bumpy road, it briefly stops on the upward movement, but restarts when the weight of the car bounces back down again. (i'm not talking about wheels leaving the ground there!!)

I have noticed that on sharper right hand corners it does appear to be slightly intermittent, but left hand corners it is unchanged.

I can not work out what it is, and it is getting annoying, any suggestions?:confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Still sounds suspiciously like a wheel bearing to me......

Now it's got really bad,it should be easier to hear when you jack the car up and spin the wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update, the clio has been to the garage today. On closer inspection of the suspension they found excessive play, at first they suspected the spring had snapped near the very top, but on dissasembly they found one of the suspension arm bushes had worn (i'm not sure exactly which bush, and as I dont have the car back yet, I cant look)

One replaced bush and it is (apparently) all fixed.

Havent picked it up yet, and wont be completly sure it is fixed for at least a couple of weeks due to the intermittent nature, but looking good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts