Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have problems starting the car first time in the mornings it turns over almost starts and then conks out. after 2 or 3 attempts its starts and is ok. i can stop it and start it again and it works first time. but the next morning it is the same.

i have been told that it could be the comppressor or something like that byy a local garage and that meganes have this trouble?

is it true can anyone help?
thanks jamie

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8:) its sounds as if its the glow plugs at fault tbh,did the local garrage actually inspect the car, this would give trouble starting in the morning and tends to go away as the engine warms up,this could be eathier the plugs them self or an electrical fualt. but the next morning youl be back to sqaure one lol,this could be eathier the plugs them self or an electrical fualt.
also it could be a small diesel leak causing the fuel to run back into the tank, so scan for leaks aswell but i bet its the glow plugs at fault.

goog luck and let us know the outcome alex:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back so quick, i have had the glow plugs changed and still the same, it was a little better at first but it still dont start properly, when it does turn over and i give it some revs there is some smoke out the back but is fuiine afterwards.

they have checked it over and spoke to a renault guy (someone that knows Renault, apparantly) but they say its a known fault on diesels at around 100000 miles so i thought anyone else new.

he siad it is norm the compressor or the injector, how does that sound? they said it would be expensive to fix and mightbe best to just run it in to the ground but i am just worried about it not starting one day in the future

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just started to experience this same problem myself, i preheat the glowplugs and turn the engine over and the starter motor throws out after a couple of turns. I have to go through the same proceedure at least three times before the engine finally catches and runs, lumpy at first but after a few revs it smooths out.
I have read elswhere that it could be a problem with low voltage on the the battery, which would tie in with the problem getting worse as the morning temperatures have been dropping. I am going to have the battery load tested to see if this is the possible cause.
I'll let you know how this goes and would appreciate any feedback from you if you solve the problem youself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the battery load tested and it's fine so that's not the problem in my case. Feed to recently fitted glowplugs was also tested and each one is recieving 11 volts so that too would appear not to be the cause of starting problems either.
Anyone else got any idea's??

·
Registered
23 Posts
good luck chaps I realy mean that I have been having similar problems since september and when the garage says it may be expensive to find the fault believe them £900 and still counting everything that can be suspect has been renewed but every morning it takes 10mins to start and bellows out white smoke

I am now looking into the cold start advance on the injection pump (thanks to madnoel 10 for the info) although this is proving difficult as renault say the pump on the car does not exist on my model ?????

aceloader

·
Registered
4 Posts
Poor Starting

Hi

Did you get the problem resolved?

Going throught the same trouble, 11 volts at the new glow plugs. Warm starts not a problem.

Recent head gasket change had no effect either, also have pumped the primer at the front too.

Its soooooooo frustrating..........

Rgds

Mike
:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
No i'm afraid o have found no resolution to the problem. I still resort to giving it two pre heats and then press lightly on the throttle as the engine fires to ensure it starts. works 9 times out of 10.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It may be worth checking for how long the glow-plugs are heating. This varies acording to engine temperature and it could linked to a poor temperature sensor on the engine or even the timing unit which feeds the glow-plugs:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts