Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The exhaust on my 99 T Clio has started blowing like a beast, and I'm pretty sure that it's the flexi joint next to the CAT which has got a hole in it.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to replace the flexi joint/pipe on it's own, or whether, as I've heard, you need to replace the whole CAT. This seems like an expensive option to me, when you can buy flexi joints online for a few quid!

If it's possible to replace just the flexi joint, does anyone know what length & diameter of joint is required for a 1.6 Clio?

Thanks V much in advance!

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, it would seem a bit excessive to replace the whole CAT for a hole in a flexi pipe!

I'll suggest the mechanic check the bolts in the flange too if it turns out the flexi isn't the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Chris.

It now appears that the flexi pipe has come away from whatever it attaches to at the front (it looks to be just under the gear stick/centre console area) and the pipe is hanging a bit lower than what it should attach to. Now the car really roars!! It's actually getting pretty annoying!

I'm really hoping that the flexi pipe can be replaced on its own, rather than replacing the CAT too. Anyone else have any info about whether this is possible?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
From memory,the flexi part is part of the same section as the cat,but if the price of the complete section is excessive,you can buy a section of flexible pipe and have it welded into you existing front pipe.

The price of cats has dropped considerably recently,so I'd get a quote for both a new pipe and a weld repair and compare them before making a decision.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your memory is correct! I've taken it in for a check and it is all part of the same unit. None of the 3 places I spoke to were willing to just weld a section of pipe in.

However, of the 3 quotes I was given, for supply and fit for a new CAT for my Clio, the price difference was staggering!

Local Renault main dealer: ~£505
Local Kwik-Fit: ~£250
Local recommended independent: ~£140

Just thought I'd share that!!

Needless to say I've booked it in to the local independent mechanic! Thanks for all your help/advice guys.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us.:)

It just goes to show that independants are best!:d:d:d

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts