Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had the need to use the a/c, but went to do so today but when the button is pushed, there is a click, then a grinding whining noise which gets louder with more revs.

Inside the car it sounds like it is coming from behind the dash, but is a lot quieter outside the car, even though I'm sure it must be the A/C compressor at fault.

The a/c compressor is driven by the aux belt I know, but why does it only make a noise when the a/c is switched on?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Is the air cold?

Both my Mégane and my aunt's Grand Scénic do this. Although it's louder outside the car.

Mine got louder and louder until the AC stopped working altogether. Turns out the AC system needed regassed, the level was so low that it wasn't allowing the system to kick in. Now that I have it regassed, the noise is there, but nowhere near as noticeable.

Could be a simple regass required? I used Kwik Fit. £49, and if there is a separate fault, there is no charge

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MD, not cold, just slightly cooler than ambient temp.
The noise should be louder outside the car, but it's not for some reason. There is another vibrating noise that i get at about 3000rpm or when I'm turning left, which is louder inside the car and hardly noticeable outside.
I'm thinking the two noises are linked?

I have never needed to use a/c before and probably won't again, but I think I'd like it sorted in case it jams up and takes the belt with it.

I am confused why it only makes the noise when it is switched on as I would presume that if the compresssor is knackered, it would be noisy all the time. :confused:

A re gas might do it, but I might take it to an a/c place to get their opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts