Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i have been unsuccessful in finding brake attachment for my solomatic A-frame. Even the manufacturer ignores my emails.
If anyone has it and willing to sell it - write me a pm. Of if you know where I could source one - I would be grateful for this information.

Cheers

·
HotShoe WANNABEE..
375 Posts
What is the RTA/Police/Insurance view on Towing 'all wheels down'?

Another forum has had a lot of debate on managing Showcars (taxed + MOT) towed to site. Also 'DriveIt Day' cars, similarly :confused:

Just interested in your experience.....

cheers

:loser:
knownClone

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used my a-frame only a few times. I wasn't stopped before and hopefully will never be.

My thinking is that as Vosa recognises all solid attachments as trailers I would swear blind that i am towing a trailer above 750kg gross. There are couple of things you should pay attention to - If you have driving license just for car ( cat B) - you cant legally tow anything with gross above 750kg. Than vehicle that is used for towing should be able to cope with towing the weight of the car ( all cars have specific towing weights). And last - the most important note - as you are towing a car that has brakes fitted on all wheels - as a trailer they have to be operational. That is why i am after a braking device for my solomatic a-frame.

there is a small but in braking regulations - brakes have to be of sufficient strength. As the towed car doesnt run - servo is not operational. Brakes wouldn't be of a sufficient strength.

I am looking into having a mobile vacuum pump running of a 12v battery in the towed vehicle - than servo would be operational and all lows would be covered.

I did a bit of research as I am looking into using Transit van to tow my SEL w126 mercedes from Brighton to ........ Bulgaria :think:

·
HotShoe WANNABEE..
375 Posts
:hug:... thanks for answering/forgiving the Hijak & not getting me Flamed for Trolling...lol

Best of luck with that Megga:jawdropping: Tow

:loser:
knownClone

R

·
0 Posts
I use an A frame fairly regularly and have never been pulled over. I have driven past a parked police patrol towing a large MPV with another MPVand not been pulled over. It's all a bit of a grey area it seems the UK police have a more lenient approach than they do on the contient? I don't use a break attachement as I haven't got one.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...... I don't use a break attachement as I haven't got one.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
A few of my friends did the journey with a frame and only one had problems due to having only B cat. and not B+E license. Thing is if you are pulled and you dont get along with policemen having no brakes is bloody big thing they might fine you for. My a frame is ex-AA with eye type attachment so I dont really need to make other attachments like safety cable in case a-frame gets loose on ball fitting and brakes away from towing vehicle ( I hope you can make sense from my last sentence as English is my fourth language).

Thing is my A-frame has means to attach braking device and I am 100% sure that once upon a time it had one fitted.

Still looking for brake attachment or if anyone has engineering drawings so that I can make one ( I am recently graduated Aeronautical Engineer so trust me - i can make one).

R

·
0 Posts
The thing is that the chances you are going to be towing a car that ways more than 750Kg so even if you have the brakes working on the towed vehicle it still doesn't actually comply with the European trailer regulations? If I undestand correctly?

I would be cautios about the brakes coming on to soon on the towed vehicle as you wouldn't want them to start working or even lock up before the towed cars brakes start to function :eek:

I have seen lots of arguments on different forums about using an A frame and most of the time by people who know all the rules but never actually used one.

IMO if coupled up correctly and driven with care it's a dam sight safer than using a tow rope.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.... doesn't actually comply with the European trailer regulations? If I undestand correctly?
Wrong - If you have B+E category in your driving license - you can tow up to 3500kg gross assuming towing vehicle is rated for that.

I would be cautios about the brakes coming on to soon on the towed vehicle as you wouldn't want them to start working or even lock up before the towed cars brakes start to function
My a-frame uses overrun type brakes - hitch is on sort of damper/shock absorber. So if when towing car stops overrun thingy pulls cable that in turn pushes the brake pedal in the towed car.

IMO if coupled up correctly and driven with care it's a dam sight safer than using a tow rope.
:iagree:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts