Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a pre-owned replacement SRS computer need to be ' unlocked, reset or coded ' to my own vehicle for it to work properly ?

As it is after experiencing an MOT failure for the appearance of the dash light, I have been informed buy an auto elec that the SRS computer registers an internal fault necessitating it's replacement. Unfortunately given no new parts are available the auto elec was unable to complete the repair but did at least tell us what needed to be done to repair - fit a pre owned unit of the same part number, like for like to be plug and play as long as the replacement is the same configuration.

The replacement computer with ignition on completes the self test for the light to extinguish after about 7 seconds, but comes on again after a few seconds more, to wonder about the above question, coding etc.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,472 Posts
Your sparky is correct..
If you had a Clip interface, you could change all these parameters to match your car..

·
Registered
283 Posts
What car is it?

Typically they hold your VIN number, but not sure if that's critical to function.

However, the majority of used modules will have crash data in them (the reason the second hand part is available in the first place) This is a show stopper, as any crash data in any module will stop the car from starting (or at least that's the case on the Megane/scenic 3)

The only way around that is to reset the module back to the way it was the day it came out the factory, a process known as Virginising.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What car is it?

Typically they hold your VIN number, but not sure if that's critical to function.

However, the majority of used modules will have crash data in them (the reason the second hand part is available in the first place) This is a show stopper, as any crash data in any module will stop the car from starting (or at least that's the case on the Megane/scenic 3)

The only way around that is to reset the module back to the way it was the day it came out the factory, a process known as Virginising.
An early 2002 Kangoo 1.4 Authentique

Consisting of two airbags and two seat belt tensioners - so pretty basic really.

The car has being carrying this fault, an intermittent fault for ten years to have been picked up a few times according to the MOT history, for our recent failure to be the cause of discovering what was causing it as I have had enough of it, to find the computer itself has an internal fault of which sounds very much like what Russ 17 was describing in that this one also seems temperature dependent for myself to also suspect internal electrical joint failure - ( cold = condensation to create electrical path in a poor joint, warm= no moisture resulting in poor connection) or electrolytic capacitor failure given I know lack of use can detrimentally affect those particular components where low mileage for year ( 60k) suggests lack of use.

But thanks for the advice, it's going somewhere tomorrow for a further diagnostic given I have not those tools.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tha
Your sparky is correct..
If you had a Clip interface, you could change all these parameters to match your car..
So with the correct tools and know how it can be sorted thank you.

Given the car is off somewhere tomorrow for further investigation into the fault, it helps to know what can be done along with some of the terminology.

( I just had to look up what a CLIP interface was and what it could do, to be a little more confident it can be sorted now)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And so the result of today is a big no go, to result in the code DF016 of which I think is a configuration error as try as the technie might, he could not change the configuration with the kit he had.

So aside from refitting the original unit with the intermittent fault and pray the light doesn't come on in the MOT retest, where do I go from here?

·
38,472 Posts
The configuration needs changing in the airbag module.. no other way around it really..

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where abouts in the country are you?
My location is Plymouth in Devon

And yes I do understand the configuration needs changing but where to get that done is my question.

But thank you

·
38,472 Posts
invest in the tool, use it resell it , might lose £30 on the deal, even a cheap clip, will do it, only issue with cheap, only stay working for 10 minutes at a time, and cannot give you enough time for driving and data logging
but for configuration settings and not having to use other parts of the software, then no issues .

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
invest in the tool, use it resell it , might lose £30 on the deal, even a cheap clip, will do it, only issue with cheap, only stay working for 10 minutes at a time, and cannot give you enough time for driving and data logging
but for configuration settings and not having to use other parts of the software, then no issues .
Exactly what tool is it I need?

As this CLIP thing as of yesterday I was not aware it existed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Clip is very powerful, but it's also a bit of a pig to use. I use RenOlink it's much easier.

I have already checked, and it can speak to the airbag ECU in a Kangoo Mk1

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you both, I will look into this 😀

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
And a quick note to say, the SRS problem is now solved for my Kangoo to now hold an MOT pass certificate.

What we eventually did was take the car to a local garage of which has a bit of a back street appearance to be told no they can't fix it but they know who can, to give us a phone number for another garage that has the expertise and equipment to configure SRS computers. To find this morning for less than a ton, problem is solved,then it was off to the MOT station to result in a pass.( SRS MIL illuminated being the only fault)

So if helps any other, the order of operations for an SRS fault that is with the SRS control module ;

1.Confirm the fault is with the SRS computer

2. Observing all safety requirements, get Renault part number and part manufacturer model number off existing SRS computer ( I did this with phone camera without disturbing the part as the ident plate containing all the necessary information is uppermost)

3. Quoting recorded part and model numbers find serviceable replacement computer (I found the SRS computer in my vehicle was no longer available new, to be forced to source a serviceable pre-owned part of which came from RenBreakers by way of flea bay)

4. Observing all recommended safety precautions, fit replacement part ( three screws and the harness coupling, also cleaned up vehicle earth return point whilst I was there and the one by the door)

5. Get the SRS computer configured to your vehicle of which can be done with CLiP if you have the equipment and expertise or if not, there are garages that do and will complete the installation, where in my case for less than the cost of CLiP.

One thing I found throughout the exercise is that a lot of businesses won't deal with second hand parts, hence my having to fit the computer myself prior to purchasing the configuration service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts