Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Other

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
21,596 Posts
Ive not got a favourite, as I dont enjoy using them (as its due to my car breaking down). :eek:

However, I've only ever been with the AA, so will vote for them ! :d

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,771 Posts
Drive 24/7 I helped with testing their web site so get a bit of discount off their already cheap rates, never had to call anyone out though so cant say how good any of them are.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Had reason to use the AA a week ago and they brought me my car and my family back home from Kent to the Midlands.

Can not fault the service they were so helpful.

Interestingly they told me that they hardly ever fix cars by the side of the road these days Its just not practical due to the complexity of modern cars.

·
7,771 Posts
Don't know how true this is but worth checking if you are getting cover, I am told that in the event of a accident the RAC will bring you home the AA wont.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Don't know how true this is but worth checking if you are getting cover, I am told that in the event of a accident the RAC will bring you home the AA wont.
It certainly wasn't the case when I broke my leg after a collision on my motorbike.

They didn't believe the policeman or the paramedic when they explained my condition, taking the perspective that I should be able to get my bike home - unless they got a fax from the hospital.

Because of all this hassle & delay, the bike was recovered & placed in storage by the Police's recovery agent, so I had to go through the insurance (which wrote it off) - and because of their inaction - I no longer have a bike.

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
i get free break down cover via my bank account, it includes home start and everything

as for the AA, they will only recover your car after a very minor accident as a courtesy, if they are not busy

i hit a roundabout in very thick fog a few years ago, thanks to my very low profile tyres, the suspension on one side collapsed and the car wouldn't move, cars and lorries were almost hitting me

So i rand the AA, and they told me, sorry your on your own...........nice

will never used them again

·
7,771 Posts
That's interesting a mate had his Landrover rammed at a junction and the AA did not want to know but maybe things have changed.

·
7,771 Posts
Ha well if you work for them what is the truth do they recover members after a crash?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have been out to rta,s. think they charge for recovery but not sure. thats all sorted out when i get the job

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Britannia Rescue, since 1996, because I worked for the Civil Service at the time, and they used to be part of CSMA

Before that I was with the AA, from 1988 - 1996, originally it was a Staff Membership, as I worked for them 1987-88

Britannia was all the same benefits, but cost less. Never had any problems with them, tbh.

·
9,253 Posts
I'm in the AA and I'm quite sure that in the small print they say they will not provide free cover in the event of an accident but if asked to attend they will charge a recovery fee.
I think this is fair enough as they are a Breakdown Service and not an Accident Recovery service, and the costings are different as the insurers and compensation recovery are involved.
Why should any organisation pay overheads to pull your car out of a ditch if you've been driving like a loony, or some other wally has slammed into you.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Where do you draw the line on that ?

yes if 2 cars collide fair enough, is an insurance job

what if something flies off the car in front of you, or if it throws up a stone which then goes right through your radiator

is that an accident or a breakdown ??

should they say sorry your on your own, we don't do stone damage cover ??

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
certainly think the T&Cs have changed, when I worked in the Membership Dept at AA HQ (1987-8) accident recovery was still included, as it was a major selling point we all had to stress when dealing with members/potential members on the phone

round here if there's an accident and the Police attend, they have used the same recovery company for about 50 years...when my OH's Grand Cherokee was totalled, they did the pick up, they are an independent garage and not a breakdown service

Karen xx

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I use the RAC but only because I get the full package cover for free (Tesco Clubcard Vouchers).

I must say, my last experience with them was shocking, so much so I ended up getting £35 worth of vouchers off of them as an apology :yes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am with the green flag as they have always given the best service , I have been with them ever since the AA lost my car once when they recovered it, and took nearly 1 month to relocate it and offered me a free 1 year membership for my troubles ha-ha, which I declined :)

Also with driving across Europe green flag give the best price and also offer to refund your recovery costs if you break down on the French toll roads which none of the others offer either

1 - 20 of 34 Posts