Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short:

i put my clio 04 1.2 8v in for an MOT knowing the ABS light was on. replaced ABS rings on front before MOT so was expecting the fault code just need reset. the car failed as the ABS light is still on and the garage cant find out why.

they have a fault code:

Active 500 - F74.

does anyone know what this indicates?

dont want to have to take it to a dealer.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
managed to fix this problem.

got a resistance check on all the sensors and this showed that the front drivers side sensor was fault.

replaced this and light went out.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 54 plate clio has abs+ service light on. A local garage identified the front offside speed sensor fault (said it was doing 655km/hr at standstill !). I took it off the hub. The sensor was really cruddy cleaned it no change, lights still on. The drive shaft ring looks ok to me. I could check the resistance of the sensor if I can find the other end of the cable. I presume it plugs in somewhere..anyone know where this is?
The cable goes from the sensor routes via a clips on suspension and on inner wing,,then under a protective flap and disappears into the car somewhere..any ideas where the end of this cable is?

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
IIRC it ends just behind the wheel arch liner. Pull it back and have a look

·
Registered
10 Posts
A (potentially) money saving tip when replacing the ABS sensor.
Finally got the sensor off and measured the resistance. It was dead short ( 0.1 ohms).
I cut off the sensor about 2 inches from the end. The lead still measured short!
The sensor itself did not register resistance, but it did measure a diode forward voltage (0.594 volts). So I assume the sensor part is ok.

I cut off the plug a few inches from the end and measured the plug pins again ( it was ok measuring open circuit) leaving just the wire. Measuring just the wire showed it to be internally shorted !

So in the next few days I will replace the wire, and fully seal the joints with heatshrink sleeving, re-fit it and see if it works.
If it does work, I'll have saved myself a good £50.:d

The moral is check the wiring!

This is odd though as there is no obvious damage to the piece of wire, and it looks very high quality. Quite why it has an internal short is a mystery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update. Replaced the sensor wire, fitted it a few minutes ago and the ABS and service lights went out :d
Went for little test drive, lights still out.
Looks like it is fixed and didn't cost me a penny!

Just for information, using a professional meter (Fluke 187) the resistance of the sensor was very large and indeterminate > 3 megohms and >2 megaohms with the leads reversed.
When set to check for a diode, it measured 0.704V in one direction and 1.74 volts with the leads reversed.

Haynes manual says resistance should be 1000 ohms.
From my experience today this is totally incorrect information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts