Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here, please be kind.
We are looking for a car for our student son. Found a lovely low mileage 62 plate clio 1.2 Dynamique for sale, very cheap because ...
"THIS CAR HAS A MULTIPLEX FAULT. THE ABS LIGHT COME ON AND GOES OFF BUT THE CAR STILL RUNS FINE. .... Due to the low price this car is for sale on a trade sale basis and without warranty. " (quoting here from the advert)

Now I love Renaults, I've owned 5 over the years, but always said that "you don't touch a renault with an electrical problem, even with a very long bargepole" . However, in all other respects it looks like a lovely car.
As we have no technical expertise with this type of thing, we would be paying to get it fixed.
Am I right in saying it could cost a fortune and never be fixed? Or does anyone here have any experience in these matters ... and able to tell me it's worth a punt?

My heart is trying to over-rule my head (and wallet ) over this. Talk me out of it please - unless you think there is hope.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,085 Posts
That could be a simple fix
First thing to go on
Would you buy it at the correct price if the fault was cured
Second thing, where is it.
I'll buy it, fix it and sell it you at the proper price

So you should now have two figures, one you can buy it at, and one its worth

NOW take the cost of a new battery off and add this to your trade buying price, is this still a good deal,
Now expect to spend something in the region of £50 to £100 for someone to clean the chassis earth under the airfilter housing, and the one under the nearside head light .
Is it still a god deal
now get it diagnosed, And codes cleared add this cost, is it still a good deal

Multiplex is the two wires that connect the ABS to the ECU, or to the Airbag system,
99% of these faults are a duff battery , and poor earths ..

So we really cannot say Buy it, but you can work out, if you spend 250-300 on it is it still a good buy

Reactions: twodogs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could be a simple fix
First thing to go on
Would you buy it at the correct price if the fault was cured
Second thing, where is it.
I'll buy it, fix it and sell it you at the proper price

So you should now have two figures, one you can buy it at, and one its worth

NOW take the cost of a new battery off and add this to your trade buying price, is this still a good deal,
Now expect to spend something in the region of £50 to £100 for someone to clean the chassis earth under the airfilter housing, and the one under the nearside head light .
Is it still a god deal
now get it diagnosed, And codes cleared add this cost, is it still a good deal

Multiplex is the two wires that connect the ABS to the ECU, or to the Airbag system,
99% of these faults are a duff battery , and poor earths ..

So we really cannot say Buy it, but you can work out, if you spend 250-300 on it is it still a good buy
What is the correct price for a 62 plate sports tourer Dynamique?
All I know is it's £400 inside son's price range at the moment. So if it's fixable within £400 it's a real contender.
It's in the east midlands.

·
41,085 Posts
Would not have a clue, ( Really asking the wrong one on here for that, a non runner/faulty car to me is a max of £500, and thats with a full tank of fuel )
Do you think its worth it..

remember the Trader will still make a good drink on it, whatever he says, he still has to make a living, and most put a couple of hundred on for a good drink.
I know the traders by me always did/do even to just get rid they still want something out the deal

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Go to autotrader and type in the car details, they'll email you a value for the car, pick the lowest figure then knock off a bit for the repair...... it's a starting point anyway.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,228 Posts
Or stick the reg into we buy any car.
That is a buy in price so add at least 20% for a selling value.
And don't forget their prices are based on the car being in good nick for the age.

For another idea on trade type values for any car, shop about on Ebay and autotrader, at least you will get an idea of what dealers are asking on any particular model/year.... knock at least 10% off for what you can probably knock them down by.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Or stick the reg into we buy any car.
That is a buy in price so add at least 20% for a selling value.
And don't forget their prices are based on the car being in good nick for the age.

For another idea on trade type values for any car, shop about on Ebay and autotrader, at least you will get an idea of what dealers are asking on any particular model/year.... knock at least 10% off for what you can probably knock them down by.
Thanks for that, Webuyanycar values it at £2800 - thats £700 below what the seller is asking - and of course that's without declaring the fault. so adding 20% would still bring it to £ 150 below the seller's price - but I guess that's his negotiating margin.

Given the fault, I've decided that I'd be uncomfortable paying more than £2750 for it, at the absolute top. I figure the seller will have looked to see if it's an easy fix before trying to sell it on with the fault. I do have one other question. It allegedly has a full year's MOT - Surely the faulty ABS warning would have failed an MOT?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
would not touch any french car that you already know has electrical problems, not like they are rare cars and there is nothing else to choose from

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,039 Posts
Yes an ABS warning light would fail the MOT

·
41,085 Posts
Thanks for that, Webuyanycar values it at £2800 - thats £700 below what the seller is asking - and of course that's without declaring the fault. so adding 20% would still bring it to £ 150 below the seller's price - but I guess that's his negotiating margin.

Given the fault, I've decided that I'd be uncomfortable paying more than £2750 for it, at the absolute top. I figure the seller will have looked to see if it's an easy fix before trying to sell it on with the fault. I do have one other question. It allegedly has a full year's MOT - Surely the faulty ABS warning would have failed an MOT?
I thought you were on about £1500 max ( And that is overpriced )
YEP deffo walk away

1 - 12 of 12 Posts