Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I got into my car (53reg Clio 1.5dCi) to drive my way back to Uni the other day, got out of the drive, brakes were working fine... then came to a junction, so applied the brakes to slow down, as you do... and i felt a judder on the brakes (the ABS was working overtime, even though i was travelling at no more than 20 mph and braking very gently)... so i thought it was nothing, carried on to the following junction, and then it happened again, then this stopped, and the ABS warning light, and the 'SERV' servicing light came on... then the brakes worked as normal without the ABS, but from the manual i gather that when the ABS light comes on the ABS system is shut off...

I was just wondering, what could this have been caused by? The car was working fine the night before, hadn't done anything unusual. My dad said maybe it was some rust or something on the sensor, since it was fairly cold and misty the other night and my car was outside. However, i'm not so sure that it is that...

Any ideas guys?!

Also, on a side-note my windscreen washer pump seems to have died... it no longer sprays water on either the front or the back, and there is no sound to say that it is trying to do anything (unlike when it did work). I checked and cleaned the outlets out with a pin, checked the fuses in the main and other fuse box.. but nothing appears to have been wrong. The windscreen wipers still go when the handle is pulled to cause the washer pump to work.. but no water.. (the bottle is full, obv that was first thing i checked..), there anywhere i can buy a new pump/motor for it?

It really hasn't been a good 2 weeks for my car :(

Any help would be muchly appreciated, thanks in advance,

James

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
:) hi m8 thre could be a few faults with abs badly worn disk or worn pads.
an insecure or split cv boot,which causes all the grease from the cv joint to fill the spaces in the abs ring cuasing an in accurate reading, this is an easy fix if it is this because you can actually see it, all you have to do is secure the cv boot with metal strap(lingerex) but you need a tool to apply it so you can you'se a tie rap for a quick fix, then all you do is clean the surrounding area of all grease and take the car on a small trip and the light should go out, it usually goes out on start up. (this is a very common fault m8)

other things are a split or a missing tooth on the abs ring which again you can inspect, if it is this then wou will have to take the shaft to a workshop to have a new ring fitted.
also a faulty sensor or pump to rule these out you will have to have the fault codes read via a computer, most garages now have suitable equipment and are cheaper than the main dealers(25 to about 40 pounds)

you can get a new washer pump from any good motor factors and i think they are quite cheap m8

hope this has helped and good luck Alex:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
it won't be grease from the CV joint filling the gaps in the ABS ring causing this since the ABS wheel speed sensor works on inductance created by moving metal. As the toothed ring goes passed the sensor it will receive a signal from the tooth, then no signal in between the teeth, hence can determine the speed of the wheel.
What i would imagine has happened is that the ring has broken and is turning on the driveshaft. this could havde been caused by a weak ring and a change in temperature overnight.
Once the ring slips the ABS initially thinks that the wheel is locking when it's not, hence the ABS with very light breaking. The ABS also runs plausability checks during which it will have determined that the wheel isn't locked but has a fault and hence shuts down.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i have a a 54 plate clio and the abs light is comeing on while driving after about 10 15 minets of driving any idears ?
the breaks are still working fine

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,907 Posts
I have to disagree on the wont be grease answer, it is exactly what happened to mine, once the gator was sorted and the reluctor ring cleaned it was fixed, on the face of it you would not expect grease to affect the system but it did on mine, but I do agree it's more likely to be a cracked ring moving on the shaft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive also got a ABS light on however no service light. Ive had it plugged in diagnostics and came back with driver side front wheel, i had replaced the coil spring just a day before hand so im guessing something went wrong somewhere. Ive checked the abs wire for tears and the abs ring for cracks or breaks but cant seem to find anything wrong with them. When we were replacing the spring the drive shaft popped out of the center of the car on the drivers side, however was just slipped back in. Is this what could have caused the abs light to come on? im changing disks and pads as the pads are squeaky however the abs light wasnt on before i done the coil spring.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,907 Posts
Check the ring and sensor are lined up the ring is not loose any connectors are clean and tight, try cleaning the tip of the sensor though they can be very difficult to remove without damage. If you fix it you will have to drive it a few yards to clear the light it wont just go off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts