Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm getting this right.
I own a Renault Clio 1.5Dci 53 plate, and recently had my abs & servicing lights go on and off numerous times. I finally got time to look at my abs system and found that my n/s Reluctor ring was broken and thought that was it, but when I removed my rear brake drums to look at the rings there, I suddenly got really confused as I found no ring on either side.
Can someone explain this?
Has someone put the wrong drums on, and if so why has my abs only started to play up?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Ben - welcome to the forums :)

I think you'll find the ABS 'reluctor' is part of the rear wheel bearings - usually called an 'active sensor bearing'.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
Have a look on the back of the bearing housing for what looks like a oil seal withe a pattern of segments round it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ben - welcome to the forums :)

I think you'll find the ABS 'reluctor' is part of the rear wheel bearings - usually called an 'active sensor bearing'.
This active sensor bearing, is this a new type of relutor ring which has no sensor teeth?

·
7,927 Posts
The one I was talking about does not have teeth it as segments of magnets, look were the sensors are pointing that should give you a idea were you should be looking.
Check any wires and plugs are clean and tight clean any crud from the end of the sensors and between the teeth at the front.

·
7,927 Posts
Did you count the teeth on the new ring there are two with differing teeth numbers and they don't mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi,

i was surprised when i took off the rear drums on my clio.

does anyone have a picture they can post of what it should look like?

i have some small line segmants on the outer face of the bearing seat but it is mostly smooth. the local motor facto said it is supossed to be like that and it is a magnetic segment inside the ring.

pictures would be appreciated.

thanks,
david

·
7,927 Posts
Sounds the same as mine, if you look closely you can see the segments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts