Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l have just bought a new driveshaft for my renault scenic and as l was fitting it l noticed one of the teeth was damaged/broke, l intend to take it back but what affect on the abs would one damaged tooth do to the ABS Braking , would it still work, would there be any other problems because of this...

R

·
0 Posts
Are you sure it's broken? The ABS ring might be split to aid fitting to the CV joint which might give the impression of a missing tooth ? It might not affect the ABS. It's the gap between sensor and the top of the teeth thats important.

O

·
0 Posts
The toothed ring is usually a lot wider than the sensing area of the sensor.
Is the broken tooth in the same place as the sensor?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The toothed ring is usually a lot wider than the sensing area of the sensor.
Is the broken tooth in the same place as the sensor?
Thanks for the replys, sorry l do not understand your question ourcar. All l know is it's a new shaft with ABS and on further inspection while l was fitting the shaft:mad:that one tooth was damaged... it looks damaged as there's half a tooth there. unless that's how it's suppose to be:confused:

R

·
0 Posts
What I think Ourcar was trying to say as the teeth are wider than tip of the sensor there may be enough of the tooth left for it to still work.

Though If you are thinking of getting it changed best not to fit the drive shafts. The ABS rings should be replacable.

L

·
0 Posts
Did you compare it to the one you were taking off? Or have you not removed it yet?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you compare it to the one you were taking off? Or have you not removed it yet?
The original driveshaft was taken off and l took it back for the surcharge l paid on it before checking the new shaft....
The driveshaft is the correct one for the car as it was done by car reg, year, etc by the place l got it from..
Would a damaged/tooth on the ABS ring have any affect on the ABS or the dashboard light ,speed clock working or is it just the gap between the teeth and sensor that counts even if a tooth is missing..

L

·
0 Posts
The reason I was asking was to compare the rings to see if the old one was the same.

It's difficult to say if the damage you refer to would affect the sensor functionality or not.

But if you take it back, I'm sure they will know if it is damage or not.

O

·
0 Posts
What I think Ourcar was trying to say as the teeth are wider than tip of the sensor there may be enough of the tooth left for it to still work.

Though If you are thinking of getting it changed best not to fit the drive shafts. The ABS rings should be replacable.
Spot on RC.:d
If the driveshaft is new, I'd take it back though regardless.

O

·
0 Posts
Good link noel, simple explanation how ABS works but my point is that if the sensor only sees a small narrow band of the toothed wheel and the broken tooth is outside that band, would it matter?

Even so, I would still take it back if a tooth is broken.:d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Good link noel, simple explanation how ABS works but my point is that if the sensor only sees a small narrow band of the toothed wheel and the broken tooth is outside that band, would it matter?

Even so, I would still take it back if a tooth is broken.:d
Good point and not being an electronic expert I couldn't give a full answer.
As the system works on the principle of a ferrous metal passing a magnetic coil I would think there would have to be a minimum mass passing the sensor so a square wave pattern is generated. I would think there would be a minimum range of detection though. Something akin to the difference in placing a pin against a magnetic compass and then watching the effects of a big lump of metal.:)

O

·
0 Posts
I would think there would be a minimum range of detection though.:)
I'll let you know later, as I spent yesterday replacing the driveshaft UJ on the Jeep.
In the process I chipped a tiny bit off the end of one of the teeth. The sensor is about 1" wide, the sensor is less than 1/2".
Where's the smily for 'fingers crossed'?:d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts