Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Drivers side front wheel speed sensor mount has erroded away, will i have to buy a complete new hub or is there another way around it??

please help :)

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
easiest fix is to simply swap over the entire hub.
contact these guys to get a replacement hub off a buy-in (undamaged)scrapped car sent by courier.
or from a local breakers yard.(it might even come with the abs sensor still attached)

you can do it yourself, you need a (3foot breaker bar, socket set, spanners, hammer, screwdriver, axle stand/jack) or use a local garage, the job for them should take less than 20min to swap it over when using impact air tools.

the price for the s/h part +p&p + indy garage charges will be a lot less than a new part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance of posting up a photo of the part?
It's dark outside now and would mean taking off the wheel...

Basically the sensor cable plugs into a hanging wire in the wheel arch on one end and then clips into the back of the wheel hub, so it can read the abs ring. there should be a metal clip like thing that the plastic end of the sensor slips into to read the sensor disk on the hub.

The metal clasp/clip has completely gone :(

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
give your nearest dealership a call on monday and see if they have a part listed for the clip ?
if not then its a replacement hub.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
give your nearest dealership a call on monday and see if they have a part listed for the clip ?
if not then its a replacement hub.
Just a thought but...

I'm sure the megane's come with a 12 year corrosion guarantee. Maybe it's worth a shot pulling that one out on renault when I call them (all the names under the sun) on Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Thats only for the Chassis/body(PAINT) work, not exposed mechanical parts.

the clip should be stainless steel, but with price cutting, you never know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
what was outcome, having same problem
Me too, that's why I came here!!

Just did my MOT and they failed me on the ABS light. Honestly didn't think they would care since it's a feature, not a requirement, but I was wrong :mad:. And it's such a silly fault, a thin and exposed metal tongue rusted away (go figure when it's at the wheelhub...).

Anyway, was hoping to find some MacGyver style fix (with some kind of likely durability). Any MacGywers around? :laugh:

(in the meanwhile I'll check the price for a used wheelhub)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Done a quick fix on mine to get it through its MOT, used a little bit of epoxy resin to hold it in place. Think some good glue or a little bit of silicon would work as well. Bad design.

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
Done a quick fix on mine to get it through its MOT, used a little bit of epoxy resin to hold it in place. Think some good glue or a little bit of silicon would work as well. Bad design.
Used Silicon on mine, when it wouldn't stay in after bearing change. Clear is best, not so obvious to MOT man.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,062 Posts
The metal ring that holds the ABS sensor comes in the kit with a new wheel bearing.

The type of metal ring I have seen has to be fitted into the hub before the bearing is fitted, but there may be other types.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually came up with my own MacGywer solution. Cleaned the metal and sensor, put a small chunk of Blu-Tack on the wheel hub, pressed the sensor in place => warning light out and MOT happy. Have driven some 250km with the solution in place and if I'd known how good it would work I would have used some chewing gum instead (for the real MacGywer feeling :)).

I do plan to replace it with a dot of PL400 when time permits. Should be a good adhesive for the purpose; filling, slightly flexible, yet very sturdy once hardened.

·
2,062 Posts
Owt that holds the sensor in place will do the job :wink2:

Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had rear abs sensor problem recently the sensor retaining ring was totally corroded, trying to just find this part has been a nightmare. Over a year ago I replaced discs and pads on four wheels, now if I had a Clio or a Kangoo I could buy these rings quite easy £20 cost, a Scenic I am trying all over Renault agent useless, did get two rings plus sensors from scrapyard in Norwich used of course £72 all in. My suggestion is to all of you out there who experience this problem send Renault a complaint and asking them to make these rings available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The metal ring that holds the ABS sensor comes in the kit with a new wheel bearing.

The type of metal ring I have seen has to be fitted into the hub before the bearing is fitted, but there may be other types.

Cheers.
Who did you contact for these bearings.

·
2,062 Posts

·
2,062 Posts
Crossed wires here....

I'm talking about the front wheel bearings ABS sensor holder as shown in the picture I posted, you are talking about the rear ABS sensor holder.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts