Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just signed up, looks a great place to help keep my girlfriends Clio running, also the amount of work I've done on it already I can can contribute too :)

MOT is due and the nearside front ABS sensor is goosed (my fault I damaged it while changing the wheelbearing)
I have been 'told' that there is special equipment to fit the ABS sensor into the housing. As far as I could see it's simply a push fit into the housing. Can anyone shed any light on this?

It's a Clio 1.2 on an 02 plate BTW

Also once a serviceable sensor is fitted will the light go out, or is there something that requires resetting?

As a last thing, is there anywhere recomended for new sensors?

Sorry for all the questions
Cheers
Lee

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I may be wrong but is the sensor ring not fitted to the drive shaft - and if so it is an interference fit. You will also need to check the sensor itself in case it has been damaged.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there

The sensor ring looks fine to me with no missing teeth, it's where the ABS sensor fits to the hubs that I'm concerned about. I think I knackered this sensor by trying to get it out, I don't want to break a good replacement sensor trying to get it in only to find there is specific equipment for it, if you know what I mean.

I'm from the world of toyotas, and nothing has come close to how hard work it was to get the wheelbearing sorted on this car. Total nightmare.

All the best
Lee

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
ABS sensor

Hi Ug, How did you get the old bearing out and the new one in. Go to a scrappy an dget a second hand one that way you'll see how it goes together.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressed the outer race out after useing about 8 ton of force to get it out, :eek:
then the inner race was stuck solid on the hub. Ended up having to heat treat the race to make it soft and turned it off. I've never seen a race put up such a fight:)

I've probably got mixed up about what various parts are called when describing all this as I'm useless with names, however not too bad at taking stuff off and putting it back together.

I'm not really keen on getting a 2nd hand bearing housing as the bearing in there now is good, and don't want to risk getting one with another dodgy ABS sensor, I just need to know if it's just a case of knocking the old sensor out, and then carefully pushing the new sensor in :confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Buggered up ABS sensor

If you have applied as much heat as you say you've probably fried it anyway. And the metal in the hub will probably have suffered as well. The metal in bearings is much harder than the metal in the hub so it probably "furbard now". Any decent workshop can take these bearings in at out easily - done it loads of times - it takes a little patience and the right setting in the press to get it right - unless someone before you has butchered it up with a big hammer. In all honesty I wouldn't let my dog drive the vehicle without replacing the hub carrier first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confused matey, :confused:

My question isn't about the bearing, I was just commenting on what a nightmare it was:)

I've got the wheel bearing done, it's all in and the car has been running for months. The hub was fine, the heat can be applied locally and as long as the hub is kept at a decent temp then it will maintain it's original properties. The hub carrier hasn't been heated up or anything, it just took a shedload of force to get the outer race out.

It's just the ABS sensor that's been knacked since I did the bearing (caught the top of it with my hammer:) ) and I need to know if a new sensor can be fitted without special tools or process.

Cheers :)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
If you have applied as much heat as you say you've probably fried it anyway. And the metal in the hub will probably have suffered as well. The metal in bearings is much harder than the metal in the hub so it probably "furbard now". Any decent workshop can take these bearings in at out easily - done it loads of times - it takes a little patience and the right setting in the press to get it right - unless someone before you has butchered it up with a big hammer. In all honesty I wouldn't let my dog drive the vehicle without replacing the hub carrier first.
when I had to do bearings I got a 2nd hand hub from a scrappy and had a friendly local garage fit a new bearing using a press, cost a pint (well £10 inc bearing), now I have the old hubs in case I need to do it again.

Ug, if you can take some photos of the ABS ring and assembly etc. I will add them to the Clio FAQ as I put a "how to" up in there re Mk1 wheel bearings and I can edit them in.

chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem, will be a few weeks till I get chance to tackle it but will take a few shots for you.

All the best
Ug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts