Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I own a Renault Clio 03, 1.4 Dynamique.

Recently, the ABS & SERV light came on whilst driving. With the help of the forum search I was able to identify the fault (CV joint gaiter clip on front passenger side had come undone) and repair it (we used a tie-wrap to hold the gaiter on after cleaning grease from the area).

However, despite thoroughly degreasing the area surrounding the joint, including the castle like area (for the ABS sensor) and the ABS sensor itself the ABS & SERV light remain on when driving.

I plan on booking it into a service very soon at a local garage but was wondering what the next course of action could be for this problem? The only thing really left would be to replace the sensor, as there shouldn't be anything else causing issue.

Any advice / guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Hi,it could be that the cars computer will need erasing to clear fault or you have another fault with car, so when car is in garage ask them to put car on computer to check.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
are you sure the abs ring around the cv joint is not cracked, this is the norm, if the light goes off when started and comes on when driving then its normally one of the ring, if its on all the time it more like a sensor or something worse. Make sure all the brake lights work as well as this will bring up a abs fault. And re set the brake light switch by holing the brake pedal down while pulling the contactact towards the padal then release the pedal, sometimes if your lift the brake pedal up with your foot you can put the switch out of position

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I agree, get the code cleared first. If it returns, you'll know there's something else amiss!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice,

Rentech - the ABS & SERV lights are on when I start the car up and remain on whilst driving.

From your advice it would seem to suggest that this would be a sensor fault since the ABS ring was secure and did not appear damaged during repair.

martink / scatz - of course, it may just need resetting, although from various posts on here I assumed the ECU would reset this automatically after going for a drive, only staying on if the fault persisted.

Think it may be simpler to have it looked at during a service, although if a new sensor is relatively cheap (< £10) it may be worth a go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is right the light should re set its self, have you checked the other things i mentioned?
Will have someone check the brake lights with me tomorrow but could you please clarify what you mean about the brake light switch? Specifically the "pulling the contact towards the pedal" part?

And re set the brake light switch by holing the brake pedal down while pulling the contactact towards the padal then release the pedal, sometimes if your lift the brake pedal up with your foot you can put the switch out of position
Much appreciated,

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts