Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just wondering if anybody knows of a additive you can put in your diesel, which will keep the carbon build up down. Constantly cleaning the EGR valve is a task I would like to forget, I`m quite sure many others feel the same way.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
It'd have to be an additive that survived the combustion cycle, and I'd be surprised if anything remotely useful did. I can see how additives could clean the injectors or de-coke the cylinders, but I doubt there's anything you can bung in the tank that will keep the EGR clean.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Alan how often do you have to clean the EGR valve - if it blocking too often it maybe be faulty or the engine is running to rich.:)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The additive is Diesel! Then plant the right foot.. That will keep it clean.. LOL

The Egr and other parts of the engine will get sooted fairly quickly if the car is mainly used for stop start town driving.. If that is the case then a blast down a motorway would help.. Or just drive it hard all the time..

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh Webcode the Italian tune-up cures many problems - the problem is hard riving does'nt make the EGR work harder it actually makes it work less. - but I see your point.:)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Or just drive it hard all the time..
I wonder if driving like this is taken into account when Renault publish the official MPG figures for their various car's?

Me, well maybe I am being cynical, but I'd doubt it very much. I'm not criticising WebCode in any way at all, because I am aware that what he is saying is correct, but tell who is going to drive around town like an F1 driver to keep their :censored: EGR valve clean?

We're all having global warming issues stuffed down our throats on a daily basis, yet because of the problems and costs these EGR valves and turbo's cause, we have to drive about town and motorways like Lewis Hamilton.

J :censored:C, Is it only me, that thinks the design of these EGR valves and turbo's should be changed to accommodate normal every day driving while we are all being encouraged to keep the weight off the loud pedal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts