1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm very tempted to buy the above vehicle

2001 X RENAULT MEGANE 2.0 16V IDE PRIVILEGE

However I've read some reviews stating that parts for the IDE engine are difficult to get hold of, is this true?

Also if anyone else has any advice on whether this car is or isn't a sound choice I'd really appreciate it before I commit!

Thanks all :)

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Even though I had a car with an IDE engine in it (which caused me no real trouble over the 2 years I had it) I am pained to say steer clear of it, especially as the car is a X reg.

Like you say parts are rare (long waiting times at the mo for fuel pressure regulators) and expensive too. Most troubles with them are fuel related, pressure sensors / regulators, fuel pumps and fuel rails, so can get very expensive if these go wrong.

Do a forum search for IDE and you will see many a post about the issues with these engines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad I checked thanks for that - are the problems with the Megane limited to this kind of engine - and is there a particular model which I should aim for within the same sort of age/used car price range?

Cheers for that

R

·
0 Posts
The 2.0 F4R or 1.8 F4P 16 valve engines are pretty reliable as long as the timing belt service intervals get adhered to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again,

I've taken your advice and I've since seen another Megane that I'm keen on, it's a:

Renault Megane 2.0 16V ROADSTER - Y reg

Does anyone know if this car is likely to have an IDE engine in it, or know if this is a decent vehicle?

Thanks again for all advice - it's gratefully received

cheers

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Being a 2001 I would say there is a strong likelyhood it will have an IDE engine, sorry to say. My Laguna II was a 2001 car.

I'd say anything before 1999-2000 and after 2003 will be non IDE.

Of course if you looked at any other engine other than 2.0 litre from those years then you wont have that issue as the IDE engine was only available in 2.0litre form.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Dave! What's the best way to find out whether it's an IDE engine for sure as it doesn't seem to say anything on the description? Is there a site? Or if I see the vehicle will it be obvious under the bonnet?

I've done a search for the same model and none seem to specify that it's got that engine in it.

Chers again!

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
It should say on one of the plates on the doors once sides (well my Laguna II did), it will say 2.0 ide or failing like lift the bonnet and look on the engine cover - it will say 2.0 Ide in yellow.

The engine code for this engine is F5R which should be on the logbook no doubt.

To be honest most traders know what a problem these engines are, so dont advertise the fact that it has that engine in it for a good reason and hope the unsuspecting buyer doesnt know about the engine (like i didnt) or notices.

R

·
0 Posts
You need to find out what the engine code is? if its the 2.0 16 valve F4R engine it isn't the IDE engine

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I'd post an update - the 2.0 roadster was indeed a IDE as you said, so I sacked it off.

Found a 1.6 2001 cabby which I test drived today and seemed pretty good. Showroom offered full service, full mot, years tax on it so I think it's a goer. Bodywork was great but need to replace the rear window (150 quid job it seems).

Cheers again for your help and advice - most probably saved me a large bill and a headache in the future.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts