Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok could do with a bit of advice if anyone can help.
The story goes as follows
Been having trouble with my lag not starting.
Had to go somewhere last night and en route needed petrol. So with the starting troubles I perhaps done a silly thing :rolleyes:
I decided to leave the engine running while i put some petrol in :eek: pumped 11 quids worth in, on getting back in car fuel guage hadn't moved and trip computer was saying same as before filling. Carried on journey and on way back was starting to get into the red. So stopped at garage again (this time switching engine off had passengers so if i needed a push start was ok) put another tenner in and this time it registered on the fuel guage.
So my question is with the car running would this have stopped the fuel going in ?
Also would this cause any problems?
And yes I feel an idiot :p

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
No such thing as a silly question...

No, the fact the engine was running wouldn't make a difference to the fuel going in.

It may be that the sender guage on your car is not as accurate as it used to be, so the car didn't 'recognise' the increased fuel level, and hence the computer wouldn't either.

Then, when you re-fuelled the second-time, there was enough (in total) to register.

Its a 'best-guess' here, but that's what I'd be thinking based upon your description.

Its either the above, or the guage re-sets itself upon start-up (which you missed out the first pit-stop)

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Velsatisfied
However fuel guage seemed to be perfectly accurate with the second lot that went in.
First lot i had a quarter of a tank nearly so normally a tenners worth would roughly take it to just under half.
Second tenners worth took it from just on the red to a quarter which is about right based on past experience with the car.
Also didnt move on the restart a little while after first fill up.

I was wondering if the tank was pressurised with the engine running would somehow the fuel flow back through the nozzle of the petrol pump? so therefore not going into the tank!!

as in the image I thought the smaller hole might be a flowback system if you get what i mean

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The tank wouldn't be under any more pressure than it would normally be (it has a breather pipe, which allows venting), and its the fuel line (driven by the fuel pump) which creates the pressure to drive the fuel forwards to the engine.

I can't offer any further explanation as to why the guage didn't move the first time, but maybe someone else can?

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts