Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, having a disastrous time with my '02 Mondeo TDCi, and have seen the above advertised for sale locally for £595 with new clutch kit fitted and 64500 miles. Now, with my Ford Mondeo there's loads of tech help and info available + a Haynes manual, but it's all a bit sparse for Renault... or am I looking in the wrong places. Also, the Mondeo has a timing chain, (lasts forever) but timing belt changing can cost £500+ it seems, can any of you Renault whizzos out there give me the benefit of your expert opinions on the Megane Coupe 1.6vvt, of which I know tiddly squat. I was particularly attracted to the convertible aspect of it. Many thanks for any and all your thoughts! 👍

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,278 Posts
Check when the belt was changed, 6 years or 72K miles, whichever comes first.
Your example with less the 70K but well over the time limit is the danger zone.
Often people with low mileage cars think that they can get away without a belt change.
If in doubt, either walk away or use it to negotiate on price.
Roof mechanism, mainly around sensors is a little suspect so make sure all works as it should.
Rear windows drop a little, roof down, windows back up, same when closing.
Check for damp inside the cabin, especially up behind dashboard and in underfloor cubby holes.... Megs (and Scenics) of this age suffer from clogged scuttle drains... no biggie to clear out but often ignored and this leads to flooding in via the heater.... with possibly disastrous results.
No rattle from the engine when starting from cold...possible dephaser (VVT) issues if there is.
Other then that, good coating of looking at, no bumps or knocks on the test drive, feels solid and seems cared for...fluids clean etc.

Lots of garages knock Renaults, TBH, they are less complex then many other makes, just need a little thought if there are any issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts