Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

thinking of getting either 2.2dci auto or 3.0dci auto circa 20.000 miles around 3 years old Grand Espace what do you all think of the boxes on these cars are they rubbish like the DPO on my car ? will the extra torque from the diesel chew them up.

Thoughts and help gratefuly received.

Dave

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi davechapman, to be honest the best idea is to get a long test drive from a dealer and see what you think.

Personally when we purchased our Espace we tested a 3.0dCi auto as well as a 2.2dCi auto and manual (we didnt look at petrol engines) .... the only reason we were looking at autos at all was the 3.0ltr is only available in auto.

After several tests we were disappointed as my impression was neither of the autoboxes could make up their minds which gear to be in, the 3.0dCi was the worst, hunting and ranging up and down the box on fairly flat straight roads, even worse going up hills .... this made up my mind that the extra £5k for the 3.0dCi auto was not worth it over the 2.2dCi manual (as we didnt really need an autobox, but I did fancy the 3.0ltr engine,) and thats what we bought the manual 2.2dCi.

Its just my opinion and I'm sure everyone will have their own, but the best is to test drive them and see what you think.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank I had heard something similar, I suppose I am more worried that the thing will go bad on me like my existing DPO box has now done twice.

Dave.

PS I did put the other thread on, sorry inexperience about where to put things, if a moderator could take it off I would be grateful, can't seem to do it my self.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, it was a real pity because I really fancied the 3.0ltr, and could just have about lived with the autobox, but it really put me off .... although the management thought it was great :rolleyes:

lets know what you decide :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What can I say very sad, my DPO box now needs new solenoids only tengrand after a complete recon, luckily under warranty.

I have asked lots of people about renault auto boxes both on this site and elsewhere and the consensus seems to be avoid like the plague.

Pressure regulation faults in the hydraulic regulator seem to be two a penny and nearly always result in big bills.

I really liked my renaults, had five, but I am now driving a VW Sharan, smaller, but with a five speed auto box which is so smooth, apparently japanese.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts