Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The Fuji should be fine, and not a bad purchase at that price. My only reservation is that it uses xD card, which is specific to Fuji and Olympus. While prices of other memory technologies are falling through the floor, xD remains pretty expensive. In a nutshell, expect to pay a lot more for memory than you would if you bought a camera that took the more common SD format, or even Sony's Memory Stick.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Horatio, does that mean the xd card is better than the sd ? or are they the same quality wise ?

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Looks a good buy there Moi. The internal memory won't hold too many pictures so a .5gb memory card would be a must.

I've had a fuji before and it's a great little camera. Perfect for your photos in the countryside (ie sheep)!!;)

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Hugh, yep loads of sheep round here , will find some sweet ones for you ;)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Fuji and Olympus have done a lot of development work together. This looks a lot like the Olympus compact we have and it's a good little performer although the image gets a little "Wolley" at long zoom, but not too bad. A good take anywhere easy to use camera. I have the xd cards and although not that cheap and limited on size (2gb max I think) they are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Thanks Horatio, does that mean the xd card is better than the sd ? or are they the same quality wise ?
You're welcome :d

SD is more of an industry standard, so while most digital picture frames (for example) have an SD slot, not all have an xD one. Not that I'd let that worry me too much - if you ever do buy a digital picture frame, buy the cheapest kind of memory card that it supports, and just copy them over on your PC.

Like Sony and their Memory Stick, Fuji/Olympus have only licenced xD manufacture to a very limited range of suppliers, which keeps the prices higher than they would be in a truly competitive market. Beyond that, there's not much to decide between the memory technologies. Physically, xD is smaller, but when both cards are smaller than a 2p coin, that's hardly a deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Horatio, I assume the xd card will fit in the card reader on my laptop the same as my sd card does?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Moi,

I would presume your laptop would have a xD card reader as it is relatively new but you should check first as not all built in card readers have an xD reader, Which is a slight drawback on xD card use but I use xD cards and have never had a problem with them but it pays to check first, It is a lot easier with a card reader saves the hassle of plugging in cables and carting them about with you also saves your camera batteries downloading from a camera via cable drains them quite a bit, Rechargeable batteries are a must tho, they have also dropped in price considerably over the last few years as have chargers shop around some great deals on chargers and battery packs get a high rating in batteries.

Olympus are now the only Manufacturer to rely solely on xD cards some of the latest Fuji Cameras now use xD & Sd cards ?...

I am thinking of purchasing the Olympus FE - 230 to compliment my Fuji Camera as it is very compact I have seen it priced about £90 , Only thing that puts me off is the Li-oN battery power.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Otto, will look at the Olympus as well, going to get one this weekend , so will check the reader on pc, just says it is a multi media card reader so taking into account the fact it is a new pc then it should read both types of card.:)

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Just one more thing to think about and look into-

A couple of years ago Fuji were leaders in the digital camera arena. Their cameras had hexagonal pixels whilst the rest of the market (Kodak etc) had rectangular ones. This meant that a 3 megapixel fuji produced better results, because of the interlocking pixels, than a competitor - lines were smoother because of the superior interpolation (Great word!).

Might be worth looking into to see if it is still the case! Hope this helps more than it confuses!:d

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Hi Moi,

Found this one on the same site you were looking at. It, IMHO, would be a better bet. Greater internal memory and SD card rather than XD. Also it has greater MP and Optical Zoom. It is, however, slightly more expensive.

KODAK C875 digital camera at PC World - Cheap KODAK digital cameras including the latest KODAK C875

Just another option for you really;)
5x optical zoom would sell it to me. In fact, that's the main reason I went for my current Pentax, in spite of it only being 5.1mp.

Then again, having had a Kodak digital camera, I'd want to give it the once-over before buying another. The Kodak DC-215 that I started out with suffered from ludicrously high over-compression, even in high quality mode.

It's all about as clear as mud, and there probably isn't a right decision. :crazy: Either camera should take good pictures, though if you're going to need an xD card reader for your PC, then there goes the 20 quid that you saved over the Kodak. I wouldn't put money on a built-in multimedia card slot reading xD. Generally speaking, you can guarantee that it'll read SD, MMC and probably Sony Memory Stick. xD doesn't seem to have had that kind of impact, and CompactFlash seems to be on its way out too.

Check out Steve's Digicams - Main Menu and see if he has reviews of both cameras. If he has, then you should be able to get a good idea of which is the better buy.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Just to throw another spanner in the works. It's not just about mega pixels - no pint having 6MP if the lens is [email protected] Optical lens quality will have a lot to do with picture quality.
I am not a fan of Kodak digital cameras, never owned one, but have seen the results from several and am not that impressed. Also they feel very plasticky and cheap.

You need to read a review on the cameras you are interested in, but even they will be biased towards whoever writes the reports preferences.

I am not 100% sure but you will probably get an xd card adaptor with your camera (if you go for the Fuji) anyway - so you can use it in a card reader. So you may not ned to buy adifferent reader.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guys for all your help and advice, has been very useful, I will do a list of all you have said and take it with me, and will play with all the cameras first before I buy, mostly a case of findng one thats easy to use as am too used to a normal camera, but at least with digital you can take pics and if rubbish just delete them .

Thanks again

Moi :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts