Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know how you go about forming a residents group?

Our apartment blocks are managed by a property management company whom we pay a service charge to every month. The difference in this case is we are all home owners (as opposed to the usual residents' groups within housing trusts) and I can't seem to find any relevant information.

The management company has renaged on a few of the promises' made to us as owners when we were first purchasing our properties and after speaking to a few residents, it seems I'm not the only one with a few gripes.

Has anyone got any useful info?

Thanking you kindly :)

SB

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Here's a link which may help - it doesn't seem to be local authority specific.

Setting Up a Tenants and Residents Association

I think the key areas are;

• support from all residents
  • a charter for what the group's remit will be
  • getting recognition from various groups (property management company/council)
Hope that helps - it may be worth just doing a straw poll by putting a note through other resident's doors first to see what the consensus is - no point in going any further unless you have the support.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i think the residents who have moved in already will be in favour - especially the two who have had their back windscreens smashed and their boot contents stolen last night :crazy:

We're paying a lot for security, and it seems they may be trying to get out of 24 hour security, by providing 24 hour CCTV as opposed to concierge/security as what was sold to us originally :steam:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
CCTV is no real substitute for an eye witness (who regularly carries out patrols), as the images are usually of too poor quality for identification purposes (and the rogues know that).

It will strengthen your arguement if you get quotes from other security firms for a similar service - if the prices are the same (or even less), their case is weakened considerably.

Its diabolical that people have to do all this just to have a normal life. (I'd gladly poke my air rifle out of a window and wing a few in the hind quarters for nowt) - rant over!

Paul:)

O

·
0 Posts
Just be careful with what you decide and take advice frist (which of course I'm sure you would do)

I'm in the process of buying a house which is on a private road, owned by the residents of the handful of houses on there. When the houses were built about 5 years ago a limited company was formed, each Home owner being a director of the company. The problem is that they didn't bother doing accounts or paying in the agreed sums each quarter and as a result they now can't sell the house until it's all sorted out and it's proving to be a lengthy process!

At least with a management company they make sure the money is collected etc. In this case, if they aren't doing what they are supposed to do then you have recourse against them.

In my case, when I do buy the house, I'm sure that there will be arguments in the longer term when work needs to be done and not everyone agrees with it. With a management company I imagine that majority rules and saves you having to argue with your neighbours.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blimmin eck OG, hope your problems sort themselves out soon - is this gonna bring you more in the future tho?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I've seen this all before and it's a pain. Just a couple of suggestions. Regarding the residents who have formed a limited company - in this case they must be registered and be able to show the purpose of the business and how it operates and what taxes, etc they've paid - such information must be in the public domain - if not you've probably got them over a barrel and every listed director or chief or board members become liable for their actions or lack thereof. Any group of interested residents can form a group but it's best it has a policy and statement of purpose and also nominated office bearers elected by members of the group. Remember a company or individual who enters a contract is under a legal obligation to fulfil that contract and any failure by either party the contract can become null and void. It is also legal to withold payment (this doesn't mean you don't have to pay) in the event of a failure of all or any part of the contract. I know it gets complicated and can be expensive. See the link below as it may be of assistance.:)

swarb.co.uk :: View Forum - Criminal Law

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Madnoel, a few things to bear in mind there. Just had a brief chat with a girl who's car was broken into. She said the caretaker (i.e. the 24 hour security) has been really rude and shut the door in her face. So as you can imagine this has only fuelled me even more.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Security

Check the contract if there is one and also request to see the contract between for the security man. If he is employed by a security company check if the security company is registered. After all if you are paying for the service you are entitled to see the terms and conditions. If not forthcoming you could be entitled to withold the proportion of the payment allocated towards security.:) I'm a great believer in rattling their cage until some droppings fall out.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the contract if there is one and also request to see the contract between for the security man. If he is employed by a security company check if the security company is registered. After all if you are paying for the service you are entitled to see the terms and conditions. If not forthcoming you could be entitled to withold the proportion of the payment allocated towards security.:) I'm a great believer in rattling their cage until some droppings fall out.
He is a 'she' for a start, she's basically a caretaker and apparently not here of a weekend. I'm gonna get my contract out (when i can remember where i put it :crazy: ) and see exactly what i'm paying for.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Thanks Madnoel, a few things to bear in mind there. Just had a brief chat with a girl who's car was broken into. She said the caretaker (i.e. the 24 hour security) has been really rude and shut the door in her face. So as you can imagine this has only fuelled me even more.
Oh no SB is fuelled up.

A

·
0 Posts

Some very valid points raised here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts