Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
What a great idea for a sub forum

I love my cameras (i have many) but i can't seem to take a good photo indoors at parties. They come out grainy or just horrible.
My outdoor pics are okay.
If people are part their wisdom for us all to use, it would be great

Check out some of my pics.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
What sort of camera are you using. I can't really help you 'cos I'm trying to go further than just point and click, but I'm sure the camera information would be useful...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a small Casio Exilm EX-S100 3.2 MegaPixels

And a Concord camera 4363z 4 MegaPixels
Not sure on any other info

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I think that a lot of the problems stem from the inadequate flash on small compact cameras. The grainy effect used to happen on film cameras if you didnt use a fast enough film, so I would probably say this is the main problem. Light.

Reactions: mikeanywhere

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
The pixel count you have should give reasonable prints to probably 5" x 7" without too much degradation. The other factors on digital to allow for are lens quality and CCD quality. A lot of compacts use extrapolated pixel counts i.e. software in the camera that doubles the actual pixel count. This works ok in bright light but in indoor situations can lead to loss of quality as there are too few receptors to gather sufficient light. Also a lens with too small an aperture will let less light in. Many compacts with fixed lenses use a small aperture as it allows a greater depth of field and therefore eliminates the need for focusing or allows it to be cut down to stepped focusing. Also add the small flash into the equation and hey presto!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
The pixel count you have should give reasonable prints to probably 5" x 7" without too much degradation. The other factors on digital to allow for are lens quality and CCD quality. A lot of compacts use extrapolated pixel counts i.e. software in the camera that doubles the actual pixel count. This works ok in bright light but in indoor situations can lead to loss of quality as there are too few receptors to gather sufficient light. Also a lens with too small an aperture will let less light in. Many compacts with fixed lenses use a small aperture as it allows a greater depth of field and therefore eliminates the need for focusing or allows it to be cut down to stepped focusing. Also add the small flash into the equation and hey presto!

Yes would agree with Chris here totally . right on the button as Chris posts are always so .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
What a great idea for a sub forum

I love my cameras (i have many) but i can't seem to take a good photo indoors at parties. They come out grainy or just horrible.
My outdoor pics are okay.
If people are part their wisdom for us all to use, it would be great

Check out some of my pics.
Orwell bridge, Herbie??

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Long exposures do tend to generate noise from the CCD. There's a technique that involves taking an image with the lens cap on before or after the main image, and then subtracting the noise of the blank frame (which won't be blank) from the true picture. It's a lot of faffing about, and a blank image needs to be taken for each picture to be processed, as the noisy pixels tend to move around over time. Apparently, some of the more recent cameras perform an automated version of this process in low light conditions.

If it's bothering you that much and you have a lot of pictures that are spoiled by noise, then maybe Noise Ninja is worth a shot. I've never tried it personally, but it seems to have a pretty good reputation. It's $35 for the basic home edition, but with the exchange rate as it is, that's not hideously expensive.

Noise Ninja: The gold standard for image noise reduction

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.
Its naughty bumping an old thread but I have not been on here for years and was finding my old threads.
Shocked Nick recognised the bridge!
Its normally only known for one thing.......suicides.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Thanks.
Its naughty bumping an old thread but I have not been on here for years and was finding my old threads.
Shocked Nick recognised the bridge!
Its normally only known for one thing.......suicides.
OMFG I hope not. Nick was a cyber friend of mine, although I know he'd got bad work problems I hope to Gawd it never got too much out of hand :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts