Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,I am thinking of changing my Y regClio Grande for a W reg Clio diesel 1.9DTI SI.The mileage on this car is 53000.I have had a friend whose advice I trust to look at the car and he was very concerned that the clutch pedal rubber is very worn and he thinks that this indicates that the clutch may be on the point of going.He also felt that the car had may have been clocked I checked the milegage on the web with Autocheck and the mileage is correct.Another thing that is bothering me is the fact that the dealer has offered me a lot more than I expected and more than other dealers have offered,for my Grande, I paid 2850 for it in September last year and the dealer is offering me 2275,I know I should be grateful,but I can't help wondering if he has offered me so much becaause he wants to unload the Clio for some reason.Finally the dealer stated the the warranty,3 months,would not cover the clutch and that no warranty ever covered the clutch,the warranty that i got with my grande covered the clutch,so he was not correct in what he said.Sorry this is so long.
I would very much appreciate any advice from other forum members.
MegP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for responding so quiclky to my posting.I have thought about an AA or RAC check (rather expensive)and when i mentioned it to the dealer he said he was happy for any inspection.I did drive the car and it seemed fine to me,although I must confess I don't know about biting point I presume it is when changing gears.
Thanks again.MegP

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello Meg.:)

Clutches are covered by warranties,but only if they fail due to a faulty part and not if they wear out.

Clutch pedal wear isn't a sign that the clutch is on it's way out to be honest,and as long as it feels OK and doesn't slip,it should be OK.

I guess this car is from a Renault dealer,so it is more than the garages reputation is worth to sell a car that has been clocked,and if you have researched the cars past,you have to believe it is genuine.If the car has been serviced by Renault,then you should be able to trace the cars history by asking for a service print out.This will give you details on what has been done and at what mileage.

As for the part exchange deal,the dealer probably has someone lined up for your car and wants to seal the deal.Either that,or the car your looking at has been on the forecourt for sometime(not neccessariy for any untoward reason) and he wants to move it on.Car sales are pretty slow at the moment,so he probably just wants his commission!

If you are in any doubt about the car,don't buy it!.There are 1000's of used cars out there,so if your not 100% happy with this one,go somewhere else.As I said,sales are slow,so you could negotiate your way to a bargain.:d

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for replying to my post.the dealer is not a Renault dealer but it is a long established business.I have driven the car and though I am by no means an expert, I have been driving for a long time and like to think that I would feel if there was something wrong.
Thanks again MegP

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,it is a debatable subject.

We have had some Clio diesel owners complaining of premature clutch wear.They have tried to claim on their warranties,but to no avail.The problem is you can't really tell of the clutch is faulty or just worn out without taking it out.This means,if you have clutch problems and you have a garage remove it and they find that is worn,you have to pay for the whole job as the warranty won't cover it.:crazy:

In all honesty,if the car has been driven half sensibly,the clutch should last 100k plus,so there must be something about Clio diesel clutches that isn't designed correctly,but proving it and getting Renault or a warranty company to pay for it is near impossible.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I got a cracking deal on my trade-in for the Vel Satis last year. 2002 Ford Ka Luxury (which had been rear-ended & repaired by my insurers), 88,500 miles (on the original clutch), full service history £2800. Book said a couple of hundred less.

Plus the car I was buying was approximately £2,000 less than others of similar age and higher mileage on autotrader's website.

I also got a service & cambelt, plus a year's warranty included.

I think the dealer had had the car for some time, and because of its rarity/low demand, was finding it difficult to sell on - hence the benefits to me.

Its natural to feel suspicious about gift horses, but if the car feels 'right' and you get good vibes from the dealer - then it'll probably be fine.

Out of curiosity, why are you moving to an older car?

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
A Cavalier I had from new, First year with a Company I worked with they decided to sell the cars on as the changes to taxation meant big benefits to them, I purchased the vehicle from them and used it as a second Family car, at the time of disposal we had covered 179000 mile in the car with the same clutch.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re Advice please

Many thanksfor everyone who took the time to answer my posting,i am very grateful for the input.After a lot of soul searching I decided against buying the car.A friend came with me to look at it and apart from the clutch thing,he noticed there were niggles,brake light not working ,worn tyres and wipers,and the car not starting except with jump leads.I know none of these are very serious and can easily be put right but they played on my mind.I have ben over to tell the dealer my decision this mornimg and he is not a happy bunny,says he will have to inform the ownerof the garage.He says they have spent £150 having it MOTd and serviced,I think they are going to try to get that money badck from me,but I haven't signed anything and never actually said I would buy the car.Anyway we shall see.
Once again many thanks to everone for all the advice.
MegP:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re advise please.

Hi it's me again,just had a phone call from the owner of the car dealers offering to have the car tested at a "government testing station"to put my mind at rest.Anyone know anything about government testing stations?Are they something other than MOT testing stations?
MegP:confused:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, its an MOT station - Department of Transport signage will indicate this.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Many thanksfor everyone who took the time to answer my posting,i am very grateful for the input.After a lot of soul searching I decided against buying the car.A friend came with me to look at it and apart from the clutch thing,he noticed there were niggles,brake light not working ,worn tyres and wipers,and the car not starting except with jump leads.I know none of these are very serious and can easily be put right but they played on my mind.I have ben over to tell the dealer my decision this mornimg and he is not a happy bunny,says he will have to inform the ownerof the garage.He says they have spent £150 having it MOTd and serviced,I think they are going to try to get that money badck from me,but I haven't signed anything and never actually said I would buy the car.Anyway we shall see.
Once again many thanks to everone for all the advice.
MegP:)

Just had an MOT and service done no brake light working, along with the other niggles I think you are wise to walk away Megpotts .

As to him recovering his costs, Rubbish no contract was entered into or agreed.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just sound like a pushy dealer. They would have done the work anyway to shift it but its a nice way to pressure someone into feeling like they should buy it. With all those little niggles it makes you wonder what else was neglected and ignored with it.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Yep - they would be on very dodgy ground selling a car with a brand new MOT even though lights weren't working and tyres were worn.

You have made the right decision. Walk away from it. As lag says, they are plenty of cars out their, it's a buyers market.
Don't be pressurised into buying it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts