Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My megane is the 1.6dci GT-line with stop start 2012 with 120,000 miles. The original battery was starting to fade and I got the battery low start engine message on the dash display. Purchased a direct like for like AGM replacement from Halfords and fitted it no problem. However I now have an orange warning on the dash saying CHECK VEHICLE followed by CHECK STOP & START. Needless to say the stop start is not active and the red light remains on the disable stop start switch. I guess I've been a bit of a dummy here and not followed a correct procedure. Everything else is working fine. Can anyone advise best course of rectification? I understand the software probably needs to be linked to the new battery but how? Many thanks Tony.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,842 Posts
You might need to find someone to reset the Battery Management System (BMS), or whatever Renault call it. Certain makes (VW/Audi I know) have battery management control modules that need to be configured via the diagnostic port.

Here is a link to a BMW system, which provides a clue as to what might be involved.

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/bmw-battery-registration

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,842 Posts
I've just also read that several makes do not require the battery to be reconfigured - so who knows. This link suggests that this process is mostly for German makes (like my examples above). I'll keep checking this out as it's now bugging me.

NOTE- There are battery configuration tools out there. So far they seem to cover every make and model apart from Renault.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I've just also read that several makes do not require the battery to be reconfigured - so who knows. This link suggests that this process is mostly for German makes (like my examples above). I'll keep checking this out as it's now bugging me.
me too ............................and here I am thinking I am the only pedantic one around!>:)

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,842 Posts
you could always check back with Halfords. There is a note on their website (AGM batteries) that "most vehicles will require this battery to be registered with the on-board computer system, therefore professional fitting at a Halfords store is strongly recommended".

I'm certainly not suggesting that Halfords are the place to go for professional fitting, but since you did buy the battery there they ought to be able to tell you if it needs configuring.

And let us know what you find out.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,572 Posts
Try this..

Stop the engine, go have a brew.
Come back disconnect the battery..
Go have another brew.
Reconnect, Switch ignition on, dont start the car, leave ignition on for a couple of seconds, turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left, now back to the centre, now turn steering to the right 90 degrees and back to the centre
The only thing you might have done, not allowing the computers/modules to go to sleep..
No diagnostic tool required on fitting a battery on your car,

Not saying you have not put a fault in the system, as some people DONT wait the 5 minutes or more before disconnecting the battery ..

But very unlikely ..

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Don't know if this helps but my other car is a Freelancer 2 with stop start and AGM battery. Info says new battery should be configured with ecu. Changed battery last year. Did nothing but fit new battery and start car. All well. Have read on the other forum that others have had problems though.
Could it be down to the time taken to do the change over and the the time without power.:confused:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,568 Posts
Don't know if this helps but my other car is a Freelancer 2 with stop start and AGM battery. Info says new battery should be configured with ecu. Changed battery last year. Did nothing but fit new battery and start car. All well. Have read on the other forum that others have had problems though.
Could it be down to the time taken to do the change over and the the time without power.:confused:
possible this is a case for a small power booster to keep the power connected while you fit a new battery glad i have not got to a car like that yet but when i do will have a diagnostic tool with this as part of the programing :wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help so far guys, looks like I have failed to wait for the system to go to sleep before changing the battery over, 'ours 2012' I will try again tonight leaving enough time and let you know how I get on, thanks for the advice. Otherwise, 'twodogs' I will speak to Halfords and see what I can find out, they state "For more complicated installations, like start/stop, AGM or EFB batteries, prices start from £25 (€30)." With hindsight, I wish I payed this upfront, typical, always changed batteries myself but new technology has more than crept up on me I think...! At least this might spread the word that changing batteries is becoming less of a mechanical and more of a technological task for modern motors. Will update later, cheers...

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,842 Posts
I know what you mean about technology creeping up. How many sensors are there on a modern car? I have no idea. How many on my first car? NONE. I don't count fuel and temp since they were only gauges. Revs were limited by a throttle screw at one end and valve bounce at the other. And the cooling fan was on all the time. In fact the first real "sensor" I fitted was a thermo-switch for a flashy electric fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice here but unfortunately no luck. Stop and start still deactivated and the yellow spanner symbol illuminated. Will have to take it somewhere to get checked out, need to find out what procedure is needed to rectify. Will keep you all posted....

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,018 Posts
I know what you mean about technology creeping up. How many sensors are there on a modern car? I have no idea. How many on my first car? NONE. I don't count fuel and temp since they were only gauges. Revs were limited by a throttle screw at one end and valve bounce at the other. And the cooling fan was on all the time. In fact the first real "sensor" I fitted was a thermo-switch for a flashy electric fan.
There were fuel and temperature sensors, we just called them "senders". Likewise the speedo gear, oil pressure and battery charging.
But I agree, most of the rest were built into the driver.

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Thanks for the advice here but unfortunately no luck. Stop and start still deactivated and the yellow spanner symbol illuminated. Will have to take it somewhere to get checked out, need to find out what procedure is needed to rectify. Will keep you all posted....
Simples, You NEED dealer level Diagnostics to tell the Car It has a new Battery. As on Stop / start Models The Alternator & BCM chat to each other reporting state of charge & capacity.
You now have a mismatch.
BOTH have changed. The days of Ham Battery changes are swiftly ending.

·
40,572 Posts
nothing showing in dial, about using diagnostics,,
Just says fit, set all windows, radio and clock.. turn wheels to left then centre then right back to centre ..

Strange one is this..

You have not left a lead off the battery ? Have you double checked, just asking, easy to do ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
My megane is the 1.6dci GT-line with stop start 2012 with 120,000 miles. The original battery was starting to fade and I got the battery low start engine message on the dash display. Purchased a direct like for like AGM replacement from Halfords and fitted it no problem. However I now have an orange warning on the dash saying CHECK VEHICLE followed by CHECK STOP & START. Needless to say the stop start is not active and the red light remains on the disable stop start switch. I guess I've been a bit of a dummy here and not followed a correct procedure. Everything else is working fine. Can anyone advise best course of rectification? I understand the software probably needs to be linked to the new battery but how? Many thanks Tony.
Hi,
Could you tell me your out come of this fault. As I have done the exact same thing. Replaced battery and now have the orange spanner and check start/stop showing on screen.
Thanks
Ross

·
40,572 Posts
Have you taken the car out for a run

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you taken the car out for a run
I have driven around 5 miles so far. I followed the procedure of waiting for 5 mins then disconnecting the battery and once reconnected selected the Yes for new battery. But now have the above fault. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hy Tony, I have the same 1.6dci 2014 Start and Stop, with "Check Vehicle" and " Check Start and stop" warning after replacing the battery [EFB], did it myself selected the "new battery " option which appeared out on the display... I went and did a diagnose and it seems the sensor/ecu that talks to the Start and Stop system shows that the battery has just around 3.5V which should be around 13V+ but the electrician it is not sure so I have to leave the car next week to see if he can solved this issue.Tested the battery with 3 testers and it was OK 13v+. Did you managed to fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
shows that the battery has just around 3.5V
Are you 100% sure the scanner reported 3.5 V and not 3.5 AH...................?

EFB battery replaced/fitted ................ what is the exact brand and model number of the battery that WAS there and IS there now?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts