Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Megane Coupe.
This week the air bag went off while I was driving.
Has this ever happened to anyone before?...

Two weeks ago my steering wheel started 'clicking', then my horn started going off when I turned it for corners and round-abouts. Later the same day my air bag light came on so I called the garage i bought it from.
My initial worry was that it might go off while I was driving but the garage said that this would not happen and my car was safe to drive. I removed the fuse for the horn and carried on my way home.
I took the car in at the end of the week so they could check which parts they needed to order. I was told that this was still under waranty. I then booked it in for the following week to have the parts fitted, as it was due for the MOT I booked it in for that too and a service.
Two days later the air bag deployed as i pulled up at a junction. The car was already stationary so it did not cause an accident and my injuries were not severe or lasting but I did get quite a fright.
I took it into the garage today so they could investigate why it went off, but they have no idea why it happened and now tell me the air bag is not covered by my waranty. £617 to put it back together. Uuuuuggggggrrrrrr.
While I keep my car nice (fluids topped up and clean) I'm not very mechanical so I don't think this is something i could have looked into myself.

O

·
0 Posts
This happened 2 days after the garage fitted new parts?

Warranty or not, I'd pursue the fact that it happened due to work they'd recently done.

You could also pursue a case against them for reckless endangerment as they clearly didn't check the work.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I would argue with them about the airbag not covered by waranty. as you had already took the car to them with a fault in the airbag system (ie the clock spring connector at the steering wheel)
My initial worry was that it might go off while I was driving but the garage said that this would not happen and my car was safe to drive.
I took the car in at the end of the week so they could check which parts they needed to order. I was told that this was still under waranty. I then booked it in for the following week to have the parts fitted
If they had repaired the fault or disconnected the part the airbag would not have deployed

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
From a legal viewpoint I think you would have a fairly strong case to claim for the cost of the air-bag, etc.

In essence you suffered consequential loss/injury due to the garage giving incorrect advice plus failing to take reasonable care. The very least they should have done was to advise you not to use the car in case the sir-bag failed to deploy in the event of an accident - yet clearly advised you to do otherwise.

A good solicitor such as Sue, Grabbitt and Runn would just love such a case suing for damages, injury, loss of use, PTSD, etc, etc,. Oh then there would be their big fat legal fees.:)

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
This was caused by the clockspring coming apart and the 12volt feed for the horn shorted out on the airbag wire causing it to fire i had it happen on a corsa recently the guy came in saying his radio controls stopped working i told him what was needed.

He did not want to spend the money for just radio controls :)

As a result he got an airbag in the face lol

Should not happen but it can as you now know !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your feedback.

I suppose mine is a consumer problem which is the result of a fault. I've searched the forums for similar things but most issues are to do with the warning lights and loose connections.
I've written a detailed email of the events to the garage service manager and await their response.

I really appreciate your messages, I need all the advice I can get. Jenn

O

·
0 Posts
had it happen on a corsa recently the guy came in saying his radio controls stopped working i told him what was needed.

He did not want to spend the money for just radio controls :)

As a result he got an airbag in the face lol
I imagine you told him that could happen and it's not just about the radio controls?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts