Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps - not a Renault-specific question, clearly, but the air-bag light is back on the MG. It's the sensor wire under the seat that has a dodgy connection. I've got to get it hardwired at some point, but would this be an MOT failure do you think?

The car is booked in for next Tuesday for it's first MOT so I'll pull it all apart and WD40 it again if necessary

Thanks in advance...

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
So its not just Renaults that have dodgy airbag connections then eh ! nice to know its not just Renault !

Ive had my fair share of dodgy air bag connections in the past with my lag - all sorted now though thankfully.

Not too sure about your question though, but I would have thought it would fail.

:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Common problems on the MGs plus Beemers which share the same part of the loom IIRC. Seems to be a bit of an Achilles heal on lots of motors...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it's lying down in the rain with my head buried in the footwell time for me again. Problem is last time I got it to go off it cam back on again the next bl00dy day! :rofl:

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Well when my airbag light came on last time, the garage took both seats out and hard wired both connectors.
They were told by renault it was the connector under the drivers seat that was at fault , it wasnt, so did the "french" drivers seat (passenger side) lol and after all that the problem still didnt go away.

In the end it was a faulty steering wheel coupler !

Not a cheap episode, at least the warranty company paid most of it, still cost me a princley sum though !

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty certain it's the driver's side connector. It's failed before and a bit of twiddling with the battery disconnected it has sorted it. I've been meaning to have it hard wired for ages (I ain't weilding a soldering iron anyway near my own car, that's for sure) but I've been caught napping re. the MOT :(

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Selly, I'm surprised that you didn't ask the MOT tester Laggy for his advice on this, I have printed the pages for this post and will check with my lovely recommended local garage tomorrow unless you have fresh news, I can't really see people crawling under the seats and checking all the connections.
Regards Leroy

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks leroy. I personally don't like approaching individual members directly - I'd rather punt it out to the community as a whole...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope so. Means I don't have to go out in the rain to sort it later! :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Panic over chaps. Another quick seeing to with some WD40 and all is well...

Ta for the replies! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
as you have posted about this i thought id ask myh question here.

my airbag and service light were on when i bought the car, so i took it back and had the wiring under my seat fiddled with, and this turned the ligth off.

a week later the lights are back on, the mechanic then fiddles with the wiring under the front passenger seat and the light goes off for a few days.

yesterday im driving about and the lights come on, go off come on go off, ive tried to lessen what the causes could be by using bumpy roads, doing high speeds, braking eratically etc etc and i cant find anything definate that triggers the lights to go on and off.

any ideas?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem with mine is that there is no slack in the connector cable. It's fastened to the seat frame to keep it out of the way but when the seat is moved up and down or backwards and forwards it gently pulls on the cabling until it (presumably) loosens the connection. An auto electrician should be able to hard wire the connection for you, which is what I intend to get sorted...

·
Registered
13 Posts
thats similar to what my partner and his friend think.

im gunan sound really dim here but is that the wire that seemingly goes from my seat into my seatbelt fastener? as thats what my partner thinks is my issue, and it is affected when my weight shifts around the chair due to corners, humps etc.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't really say 'cos the connections are likely to be different, but it sounds like the one...

·
Registered
13 Posts
thats lovely :) thanks hun.

ive decided to give it a few days to see if i can put my finger on it, and if we cant place whats wrong then ill get it to someone who has a better idea.

im just a bit down hearted coz ive dealt with the dealership mechanic (warrenty etc) and it seems to always be a quick fix, but i know if i want to get it done properly its gunna cost me coz i wont go to that dealers, ill go to a place i can trust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts