Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-posting the question which I have originally placed in the Twingo Section
Prior to asking this question I just would like to mention that I've already read some threads associated with my problem and even tried to apply the suggested procedure.
It's again about the Air Bag light.
I had recently bought 1995 Twingo, shipped it form Japan to Canada. There aren't any Renault dealerships anywhere in Canada or US. So, I have to be on my own, except perhaps some moderate assistance from some Europe-oriented garages.
I have tried to play with the wires under the driver's seat: they all look tight. There is a small cylinder attached to the seat (I guess it's the air bag sensor?) to which the wires lead.
I am not sure where else I should look/check. Would it be safe to unplug the wires from this sensor, if that is possible to do so?
Any advice, please?
The Car Test rules in Canada are ones of the strictest in the world: it means that if I do not pass the Air Bag with the light on, I'd have to damp the car!!!
:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a similar problem a while back with a 2001 clio - the problem was the small plug running below each front seat- even though it appeared tightly connected - there was a bad connection inside plug which was a result of frequent movement each time the seats were raised for passengers to get into back of car (3-door). I unplugged the connectors, noted the wire connections and cut the wires and soldered each one permanently together and insulated with heat shrink sleeving - this solved the airbag light problem - hope this helps - seanmgc71

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Yeah, that small cylinder is the seatbelt pre-tensioner, and as seanmcg71 said, the connectors are very prone to cause a dodgy connection. Usually undoing the connector (after disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 minutes or so - these things are explosive), cleaning the inevitable corrosion (or sherbet, in the case of my first Lag1...?) out and firmly reconnecting it will sort it out.

Although I don't recall the light flashing on my Lag 1s when this happened - they lit up solid, so perhaps your problem is different.

I don't think a 1995 Twingo would have a passenger airbag, I could be wrong though.

Reactions: RoyLegrand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A flashing airbag light would normaly mean the passanger side airbag has been swtiched off (ie for a rear facing child seat) there should be a switch on your dash to turn it on/off
Thank you very much!

But in this model, there is no passenger air bag, but only the driver's one.
Also, after some searching, I couldn't really find any switches for the airbag (I wish I did!)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your idea!
That is, basically, what I was trying to do. But it seems that the only plug there is the one which is on this small cylinder. So I am not sure how can I cut these things - the wire and the cylinder and then solder them together. I guess the wiring might be different in different models. But I'll try to analyze it again.
Also, there are wires with cylinders under both, driver and passenger seats. But there is apparently only one airbag.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that small cylinder is the seatbelt pre-tensioner, and as seanmcg71 said, the connectors are very prone to cause a dodgy connection. Usually undoing the connector (after disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 minutes or so - these things are explosive), cleaning the inevitable corrosion (or sherbet, in the case of my first Lag1...?) out and firmly reconnecting it will sort it out.

Although I don't recall the light flashing on my Lag 1s when this happened - they lit up solid, so perhaps your problem is different.

I don't think a 1995 Twingo would have a passenger airbag, I could be wrong though.
That's right, it has only driver's bag.
I guess, the only thing I can do it's what you've said: disconnecting the plugs on the cylinders.
Yes, it's a flashing light.
Nobody in British Columbia, and I daresay - in the entire Canada - has the code reader for this car! Well, the one person has it for Renos, but this Twingo has an older type of the code reader connector, so it's useless...:(
But, as I understood it from what I've been reading previously, some people brought their cars to dealers for analysis and those couldn't find any fault at all!!!

Thank you again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.