Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if it is more likely to be a cmpressor or ECU fault that may have caused this to stop working.
A few weeks before lockdown the airon in out 2015 Megane worked but was making odd sounds, cross between a whistling pump or air in a system. We've had the car since September and its only done 15K miles. Virtually mint.

I have no idea why there should be no cold air, but yesterday the system didnt even switch on until we had been driving hfor half an hour and we heard the whislting again. - We know its the AC because it goes away by pressing the AC off switch. Is it possible there is an electronic fault that is stopping it from circulating?

Renault want £120 to book it in for exploratory work, dye etc and then more if there is anything to be replaced. I don't want to was money getting it regassed unnecessarily. I've never had a car in 25 years that actually needed the aircon regassing.

Edited to add I'd like to have a go regassing the car myself with the DIY kits, if anyone has done this before.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,038 Posts
These DIY kits, Not VERY good
Yours is possibly only one valve to fill the system, and the DIY kits wont work.
Your best bet here, take to a garage and ask for a regas.. If you have your car serviced by a garage use the same one ( They tend to look after regular customers better than joe public )
They will tell you the issue ..
JUST dont mention issues with air con, just say its not blowing cold enough..
otherwise they will start looking for work, before they actually attempt to regas
this will be cheaper than £120

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found out the car takes R134a gas. Does it usually have a hi pressure and low pressure port? The engine is the RS Megane one, photo attached and the larger pipe is labelled.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,038 Posts
you can try the DIY kit ,.
we dont seem to have many good reports on here of people who have tried ( cannot remember one to be truthful )

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Hi

from what I've read on other forums, I'd not bother with the diy route, you'l end up at the garage after anyway.

Al

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've found out the car takes R134a gas. Does it usually have a hi pressure and low pressure port? The engine is the RS Megane one, photo attached and the larger pipe is labelled. View attachment 184308

View attachment 184309
My megane 3 dci I regassed roughly month ago (stp bottle and gauge from Halfords)
It’s done through the low port thicker pipe but you can’t mix them up as the ports are different sizes hose gauge will only fit low port
As I said done it roughly month ago and Aircon blowing 3 degrees through centre vents worked well for me plus you get £10 refund if you take bottle back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts