Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there seems to be a large number of scenic owners experiencing all sorts of heating problems. Nowhere in the forum could i find any mention of a bleeding screw. It works like this:
The radiator is situated lower than the engine. This means that when you fill the radiator with water there is an area in the engine where air is trapped because this area is higher than the radiator. So when there was a problem and water had to be topped up extensively, the system must be bleeded while the engine is running to get rid of the trapped air. On my 1999 scenic 2.0 8 valve, the bleeding screw is situated on the thermostat housing. The screw is opened and some water together with air is expelled. Keep it open until no air is expelled and then close the screw.
Hope this helps somebody.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Did you find any bleed screws either on the heater hoses or top corner of the radiator - some have some don't and can be hard to find even if there is.

Not much difference than most Renaults I'm afraid they all have a history of being difficult to bleed in my experience.

The highest point is usually the expansion bottle and what I have found is to fill the system very slowly about half a litre every 30 seconds or so and let it sit for anothe 30 seconds before adding more. This gives any trapped air a chance to move if it wants. Then starting the engine with the bottle cap removed this allows the system to expel air. I run the engine until I can't just see wisps of steam appearing in the expansion bottle and then replace the cap. Allow the engine to run until it reaches operating temperature keeping a close eye on both the temp gauge and expansion bottle level. If the engine heats up but the temp gauge doesn't respond accordingly then there is most certainly an air-lock. Also run the heater and keep an eye on its heat ouput another sign of air trapped in the heater matrix.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts