Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I***8217;ve a 2017 new grand scenic. I had the alarm box replaced last week under warranty as the alarm was going off if I either opened the door or started the car. . I***8217;m taking it back to the garage tomorrow as the alarm is going off now for the following reason.

When the car opens with the handsfree key system, opening the boot or rear doors sets off the alarm. But not the front doors. And you can***8217;t turn off the alarm with the key when it***8217;s blazing out loud. It goes off after around 30 seconds.

Does anyone have an idea if this is still a fault or just a setting? Is it a security feature in case someone tries to access the boot after the car opens? If so, does anyone know if I can change that setting myself.

Before the new alarm box was fitted, opening any door worked.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,036 Posts
I'm guessing if it was a feature it would be in your driver's handbook and that the alarm could be turned off with the key. I think you need another trip to the dealer (I presume you can repeat the fault in his presence).

What about flashing red lights or other warning/immobiliser lamp on the dash. These should all be off when driving normally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea there's nothing in the handbook regarding the alarm feature. The only setting it to turn off the handsfree key function.

After the alarm goes off, the alarm noise turns itself off after about 30 seconds, but the hazard lights keeps going for about 2 minutes I think. You can start and drive the car with either of these on.

I reckon that the default settings of the alarm box is that only the front doors disable the alarm and there's some kind of special menu that dealer mechanics know of to change these.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,036 Posts
I'm still thinking there is a fault.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,527 Posts
I agree.
Would it be fair to say that the central locking and immob have no problem with your credentials but the alarm system didn't get the email?
Check the alarm spamfolder :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer just rang. They think it was a low battery voltage issue. it was at 30% so they charged it overnight and checked the alarm by opening the boot this morning and the alarm didn't go off.

I had just driven about an hour and a half to the dealer yesterday so I would have expected the battery to be fully charged. They probably would have checked the car sometime within the next hour and a half also. So is there an alternator problem that isn't charging the battery? Could there something else that's draining the battery?

They're keeping it again tonight to check.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,905 Posts
you could have a parasitic draw on the battery

for info only !

or you could have a duff alternator, they should be able to check the alternator straight away by putting a meter across the battery terminals with the engine running and it should be reading about 14 volts

or the battery could just be old and knackered ( some light reading for you, a post I made a while ago regarding batteries - https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/17-electronics/587267-my-whits-end-55-plate-mkiii-clio-1-6-not-starting.html#post4209357 )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I'd hope the battery isn't knackered. It's only for 10k on the clock since september 2017.

I'll be talking to the dealer again tomorrow morning. So we'll see what they say.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,036 Posts
The battery is not old. Parasitic drain is a possibility and Renaults do strange things when voltage drops below what the computer expects to see but at 30% I would expect warnings on the dashboard much sooner. For example with my 2011 car "BATTERY LOW" or "BATTERY CHARGING" plus other spurious warnings that pop up from time to time. What did the dealer say - they can check for battery drain but if they can't find a fault there, or with the charging system I would say Renault owes you a new battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, picked up the car, went to open the back door and off goes the alarm again. Turns out there i was opening it "too fast". You have to put your hand behind the door handles to unlock first. Wait until it clicks and then open the door.

The garage only charged the battery overnight and it was fine after that. I got no warnings about a low battery or any other indications. I can't remember if the garage told me the battery level was around 30% or under 30% but something during their checks told them to check the battery. They also said that because the report didn't say it was a bad battery, they couldn't replace it.

So the latest problem is this. If I start the car with either the passenger front door or the two back doors open (not the drivers door or boot), the alarm goes off again. Surely this isn't normal? I'll be ringing the garage again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,036 Posts
If you start the car with the doors open, a warning is a possibility but definitely not the alarm.

Where is the alarm unit/horn itself? Any chance it got wet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the unit is in the bonnet. At least that***8217;s where the alarm noise is the loudest.
Don***8217;t think it got wet.

Dropped it to the garage again today. All I was told this evening is that they***8217;ve put in an online query with the Renault support in the UK. So I***8217;ll find out tomorrow if they***8217;ve come back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The latest is that the UK support got back to the garage. The alarm box and the control unit needs to be replaced. The control unit needs to come from France so will take a few days.
Haven***8217;t been told where the exact problem is, so they could be cutting their losses by replacing both units.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry folks. Only remembered to reply now. Anywho, car is fixed. As I've mentioned, a new alarm box and control unit were replaced. Everything works as normal. I checked all the previous ways that set it off and it seems to be working as normal.

However! My wife did set off the alarm. This I reckon, is a design flaw. The door unlocks when you put your hand behind any door handle. There's a sensor in the handle. This is the expected behaviour. But if you happen to pull the handle too quickly, it's like the alarm isn't given enough time to switch itself off before the door unlocks itself.

I know what you're thinking. My wife is quicker than an electric signal!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,056 Posts
As if we would think that ..:grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts