Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have just bought a second hand 2004 MK11 Scenic but there's 2 things which annoy me but am unsure if they are faults or just part of the parcel. Firstly is there a way to turn off the keyless Handsfree. I want to have to press the unlock/lock buttons and insert the card to start the engine not just have the card in my pocket.

Secondly, when I lock the car I get an High Pitch whining noise for approx 60 seconds. This is very frustrating, especially at night. Is this a fault or can it be deactivated?? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Freeblade.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot alter the handsfree option on your Scenic II, You can still put the key in the slot and use the card as a plip but why over the handsfree I dont see the point.

Your Whining noise is a fault what the fault is I do not know.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If it's anything like the Laguna system, then using the lock/unlock buttons on the card will disable the handsfree locking until you next start the engine (so effectively, if you lock with the card, you can only unlock with the card.) As Otto says, you can still stick the card in the slot if you want to.

The handsfree system does have its irritations, most of which revolve around how the system behaves if your passenger happens to have their card with them too. The silly little ritual of having to make sure that the passenger stands well back from the car while the driver approaches to unlock it can be irritating, but it's necessary if you want the seat and mirror memories to select the correct positions for the driver. Once you're in the car, it often starts off the wrong keycard too. That's not so much of an irritation, but it can mean it decides to stick the radio on when you had been listening to a CD and leaves you with the passenger's favoured climate settings instead of your own.

If you really hate it, then the dealer may well be able to disable it with the Clip computer. It'd probably hurt the re-sale value of the car though (unless you paid to got it re-enabled) so I'd be inclined to just take the bad with the good and learn to live with it :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

After checking the door switches I looked under the bonnet and found that the alarm sensor switch wasn't been pushed down enough. I have used 3 pieces of Number Plate tape stuck on top of each other and applied to the bonnet directly above the switch and this has done the job. Not sure if Renault have a fix for this though.

As for the key, I suppose I will have to live with it. The only reason I wish to change is I am so use to the traditional method of manual locking.......... suppose I will have to get with the times (All this new technology).

Thanks again

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
The only "problem" I've had with handsfree is when the management has the card in her bag, and gets out the car to go shopping and I go to park it .... problem, when you stop the car ....

1/ you cant start it again
2/ sometimes it locks but mostly you cant
3/ you can never find which shop she is in

result .... we always put the card in the reader now .... been caught out a few times :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The only "problem" I've had with handsfree is when the management has the card in her bag, and gets out the car to go shopping and I go to park it .... problem, when you stop the car ....
On the Laguna, if the only working card leaves the car and the engine is still running, you get a beeping alarm from the dash and a red warning icon telling you that it can't sense the card. I've also had it happen while driving when the card's battery has been low.

I find a bigger worry with the handsfree card is that it can drop out of your pocket and remain in the car. (Or, more commonly, you park up somewhere briefly, and the wife decides to leave her handbag in the car, with her card still in it.) You get the beeps until the card leaves the car, but you get so used to those that you soon stop noticing them. On top of that, I've known the car fail to auto-lock when the card's gone out of range on a few occasions now. On one occasion, I know I'd accidentally pressed the unlock button, so it's possible that's what happened on the others too.

So every time I park the car now, I have to listen for the beep and/or look out for the hazards flashing when I walk away. Which is fine unless you happen to be walking away from the car across a noisy, busy car park :crazy:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
We do get a beep but its very very quite ... plus TBH, ours has rarely autolocked if stopping the engine when the card has gone out of range (but the engine was running when it did so .... confused but you know what I mean.)

Normal autolocking ... I've noticed receintly that the car locks but has stopped deadlocking, unless you use the card ... not sure if it ever did ?

TBH we tend to use the card all the time now :)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Normal autolocking ... I've noticed receintly that the car locks but has stopped deadlocking, unless you use the card ... not sure if it ever did ?
Mine's never deadlocked, and I suppose it probably can't for safety reasons. Quite often, I've walked away from the car with passengers still inside (e.g. paying for fuel) and, of course, the car has locked itself. If it deadlocked, then the passengers would be unable to get out of the car. It's probably safest to leave deadlocking as a deliberate act, with the driver deciding when it's appropriate to use it.

I wouldn't mind if you could deadlock on the card but still unlock on the handsfree, but of course using the buttons to lock the car disables the handsfree unlocking. I rarely deadlock the car unless I'm leaving it somewhere dodgy or with something of value inside it. I suppose deadlocks make it that little bit more awkward for the crooks, but they'll still get in through a window if they really want something.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
hey freeblade. was just gonna say check the bonnet swich for the alarm. this is a very common problem with the scenic II. as for the handsfree it is a part of the car and cannot be changed im afraid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts