Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi sports tourer 52 plate.

Hi,
I have just purchased this vehicle and at the moment am keeping it unlocked because the alarm keeps going off.....sometimes after a minute or two and sometimes between 15-30 minutes.
Previous owner had disconnected battery if this helps.
I have checked the bonnet button...seems ok.
Am I doing something wrong with key card...and do I need to reset the alarm.
Thanks
PS. I have no user handbook so working blind

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Just a thought -

Does the car have a proper key and one door with a keyhole?

If so enter the car by that door and press the button* to lock the car (leaving the door of entry open). Then get out and shut the door - lock door. The car should now be locked with the alarm off.

* the button on the inside of the car not the keyfob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome to the forums. Are all the doors shutting correctly including tailgate.?
Thanks for replys.
Is there a way of individually checking each door/tailgate/bonnet etc sensor.
I have also tried to disable interior movement alarm using advice from the forum but still getting alarm.
The red light just flashes on/off at a constant rate each time I check alarm after it goes off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alarm problems still...neighbours cant be happy at it going off at 0400. I have to take the keycard to bed with me...how sad is that???
Anyway, I now have a manual...not that tells me a lot.
I managed to keep alarm off for 1 1/2 days before it set off ...could it have been due to the high winds that were battering my area because the car was getting shaken about.
please help me set up alarm properly

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
If you managed to successfully disarm the ultrasonic sensors but the alarm still keeps going off you can rule out the sensors, and the high winds. Yes, the high winds/buffetting can cause false alarms by fooling the sensors.

It sounds like a dorr/boot/bonnet sensor is playing up.

As far as I know there is no way of adjusting the alarm settings yourself.

After the alarm has gone off, when you unlock the car you should hear a series of "quiet" beeps - the number of beeps should tell you what triggered the alarm.

I don't know what the sequence is, but if you count the beeps and then phone a Renault garage they should be able to tell you - al least you could then narrow it down to boo, bonnet, or doors - hopefully it will reveal a boot or bonnet problem, otherwise you would need to check all four doors!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Had this for a month after by my v6 estate - turned out to be the rear window/hatch on the door - slamming it did the job (all that for the sake of not closing the window properly) - no probs since.

Best

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for help so far.
OK...so after alarm goes off and I unlock vehicle, I hear 4 beeps.
Also, after further thought and inspection...is there meant to be a rubbr/plastic bit on the underside of bonnet that holds the button down or is it the bonnet itself the depresses the button?

ta
Jem

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
sorry jemsharp - I may have misled you a bit about the "beeps".

The 4 beeps you hear purely indicate that the alarm has been triggered.
Apparently it is the sequence of led flashes that tell you what triggered the alarm.
I'm not sure if all alarms have this "memory" feature.
Even then it's not very helpful, because it still only narrows it down to doors,boot,bonnet as one "trigger".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after the alarm goes off......about every 2-3 hours at the moment the LED flashes just at a constant on-off rate.
No special sequence noted such as 3 quick flashes etc.
Any clues.

I have 'firmly' closed all things that open...nothing like a good bit of British brute force to sort out French inadaquacy.

Am awaiting answer from earlier post about rubber/plastic insert on underside of bonnet if anyone has the time to check their Laguna and let me know.
many thanks
JEM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS.

How would I know whether I have disarmed the interior sensors?
Can someone remind me how to do it please.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I'll have a look at the rubber/plastic bit under the bonnet tomorrow in the daylight.

Best way to check if sensors are disarmed are to sit in the car - lock the car, after 30 secs start moving your arms around, if the alarm sounds sensors are armed, if it doesn't sensors are disarmed.

Open door, insert card in reader, remove card, re-insert card, remove card, shut door & lock as normal. Sensors are now disarmed. You should hear 3 beeps to confirmthis.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Just been out to look at our car.

The bonnet itself keeps the switch plunger depressed.
Surrounding the switch plunger you should have a raised rubber grommet.

Also looked at the user book for the alarm, the flashing led sequence after an alarm has been triggered is an "option" - so assume none of us have this on our Laguna II models as all the alarms are the same!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok...so I have tried everything including a bit of old fashioned Brit force to sort out French incompetence.
I was chatting to a work colleague who used to be VW and BMW mechanic.
He suggested that perhaps a small amount of residue/water could have maade its way into the tailgate mechanism where the microswitch is located. He said that this would be enough to intermitttently set off any sensative alarm system (having experienced similar problems on VW Golfs)

Could this be correct...before I strip out the mechanism and clean it out and give it a dash of WD40?

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
The tailgate switches are prone to water ingress. This quite often shows up as not being able to unlock the tailgate.
It could just be the moisture "shorting" out at the moment which is causing your false alarm.

I think it is a fairly straightforward job to prise out the switch mechanism and clean the contacts and spray with wd40.

If you try a forum search for tailgate not unlocking or can't open boot etc you should find quite a bit of info. It may even be on the Laguna FAQS section.
Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts