Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2002 Megane that has had the timing belt snap. I'm fairly confident that I can align the camshafts to TDC for piston 1 and align the crankshaft to TDC as well. But, I don't know if there is anything that needs to be done to make sure that the piston is on the ignition stroke so that when the timing belt is replaced, the engine can fire properly. Can anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Hi, I have a 2002 Megane that has had the timing belt snap. I'm fairly confident that I can align the camshafts to TDC for piston 1 and align the crankshaft to TDC as well. But, I don't know if there is anything that needs to be done to make sure that the piston is on the ignition stroke so that when the timing belt is replaced, the engine can fire properly. Can anyone help?
Doesn't Matter, As 1 & 4 + 2 & 3 fire together. On the wasted spark principle.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Just out of interest ..............

You planning to just replace the broken belt, or have you already fixed the head too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just out of interest ..............

You planning to just replace the broken belt, or have you already fixed the head too?
I'm going to repair/replace/reseat the head once the damage has been assessed.

Thanks for the quick reply, just wanted to check for my own worries that once all this is done, there won't be any problem with the timing of the injectors?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,218 Posts
In that respect, no issues
Timing tool in crank sets TDC
Cam sprockets will need setting but easy enough when all back together (all closed at TDC) plus timing tool

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,056 Posts
Make sure both cam cut outs at the gearbox end are the same, dont have one cut out up, ( above the head as such and the other down, below the head..)
You will see these as you fit them , where the two rubber plugs/bongs fit in

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice, has been a great help. I'm currently cleaning the head ahead of reassembly, and have noticed some lines on the head that look like grooves in the metalwork. Is this part of the machining and meant to be there or do I have to remove these as well before putting the new gasket on?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts