Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to car forums and have come here for advise, i have recently hit a pot hole which has buckled my wheel. I am looking for a 17" (56 plate) steppe alloy. The mian dealer is saying £240 can anyone suggest anything cheaper?
Thanks claire

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I completely understand your reservations, but the wheel isn't 'bashed' as such to repair it, it will more than likely be heated (tyre off) and pressed or pulled back into shape.

Alloys are made from an aluminium alloy (hence the term) which is a metal compound known for its lightness, yet its relative 'softness' which is a drawback when kerbing or other impacts are encountered; will actually assist in allowing a repair to be performed.

The wheel will need rebalancing afterward, which will again, prove to be a quality check of the repair.

The alternative is to buy second-hand, but the danger is that you may buy a wheel as damaged as your own.

HTH

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Claire,

I actually run my own smart-repair business, so have never used an outside agency for alloy refurbishment. (I do my own):d

However, I don't do buckles/cracks, so I couldn't actually assist or advise you myself.

I would suggest that you make a few enquiries (google, yell.com, thomson local, gumtree, etc) for a service provider who is local to where you live/work to minimise their fuel costs and inconvenience to you - this should lead to some competitive quotes for the work.

It may also be advantageous to speak to work colleagues/relatives/neighbours as they may be able to personally recommend someone.

If not, go with 'gut-instinct' rather than choose on price alone.

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
long shot: i know that you need a wheel, but if you can prove to the local council which hole it was and measure / photo it, try claiming some money from them.

oxford wheels have advertised in the for sale section, failing that try the well know internet auction site

1 - 9 of 9 Posts