Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly hello everyone, sorry to to my first post with a question.

My son has a 2003 kangoo 1.5dci70. He phoned me last night that the warning lights had come on and that the steering had gone heavy. Sounds like a drive belt says I and I will look in the morning.

Well I have looked. The altenator pully has disintegrated and the auxillary drive belt gone done the road somewhere.

So altenator is now off. How do I remove the pulley remnants. It looks as if there is some sort of special tool needed to fit the large hex in the pulley.

Secondly I have no manual and have not yet got round to checking out whatever is lurching down the side. So how do I tension the new belt as and when I get an altenator pulley sorted.

Thanks in advance for the advice I know you chaps can give me.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi iam not sure but i would say that the Aux belt will be on a pre tensioned pulley so there will be no need to have took, take the Alternator off but i might be wrong just in case iam not i would put the Alternator back on and on one off the pulley wheels you will need to fit a spanner and pull it towards you if its the right one it will move but under resistance as i said before it is on a pre tensioned pulley,you will need to put the belt all into place making sure it is correct when you reach the last pulley wheel you will need to pull the spanner i talked about towards you and then slip on the belt onto the last wheel when you release the spanner because the pulley is on a pre tension loaded wheel it will put the required pressure on the belt i hope this helps all the best Donald.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had a further look. I guess the failure is the tensioner as it is a tad loose on the bearing and squeeking like mad.

Just been onto Renault dealership who say they cannot source an altenator pulley and I must do a service exchange on the unit. £105+vat. Plus tensioner, + new belt. Ouch this is getting expensive for bank of dad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gets better, just phoned another dealer who tells me that the vehicle (He only got it, a month ago) was listed for a recall on the alternator pulley. If I can get it down there, they will do it but not until mid week.

It is a working van. no van, no work So asked if I can buy the pulley and they are now trying to source one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts