Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on Friday and my alternator belt snapped and shortly after I noticed that there was a knocking coming from around the alternator area that got faster as you revved it. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I'm suspecting that a bit of the belt's debris has been pulled into the timing cover and this knocking is the sound of it hitting against the cover as it turns round.

Before I waste money thought it'd be best to ask. If there is debris in there, could it have damaged the belt and also, is there anything else worth checking beforehand that might be making the noise. Don't fancy spending money on a new belt and pump kit only to find out that its something else!

Just to confirm, the car is a Scenic II 2004 1.5 DCi

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I was driving on Friday and my alternator belt snapped and shortly after I noticed that there was a knocking coming from around the alternator area that got faster as you revved it. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I'm suspecting that a bit of the belt's debris has been pulled into the timing cover and this knocking is the sound of it hitting against the cover as it turns round.

Before I waste money thought it'd be best to ask. If there is debris in there, could it have damaged the belt and also, is there anything else worth checking beforehand that might be making the noise. Don't fancy spending money on a new belt and pump kit only to find out that its something else!

Just to confirm, the car is a Scenic II 2004 1.5 DCi

Stop the car at once and do not drive or start it any more before you can confirm that the belt have not got tangled in the timing belt and ofset your timing!!!

You have to remove the upper and lower timing belt covers and check the belt. Its common that it will get tangled in the lower part at the crankshaft pulley

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
What Ben said.

It's not unknown for a broken auxiliary belt to take out the timing.

your not kidding ! - probably seen at least one or two a month reported on these forums

With the covers removed turn the engine by hand (use spanner/wrench or socket) through 360' looking closely & feeling for any damage to the timing belt as well as debris that may have got further up behind tensioners wrapped around water pump and or the other pulleys. If any damage to the timing belt is present - change it or you could be looking at a new engine very soon.

Then you want to align the timing marks and confirm that they still align 'exactly' only then start the engine. If they don't align its a strip down, new belt water pump the full 9 yards. If you can't do it yourself get a garage to collect the car or mobile mechanic to your house.

You also need to establish why the aux belt broke - old age - fatigue - idler seizure - a/c compressor seizes - alternator seized - any other cause ? don't just fit a new one until you know why the old one broke.
Remember if changed at the correct service intervals a belt should not fail unless put under strain or stresses it wasn't designed for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts