Independent Renault Forums banner

Alternator new and charging but battery not charging light on

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Wallace 
#1 ·
My alternator went so I had a new one fitted but the battery charging light is still on. Any ideas my garage has replaced the new alternator with another but still same problem. My car is a 2014 clio.

#3 ·
Check your fuses and fusible links, check whether the alternator has a good earth on the engine,ie. metal casing of the alternator mounted on a metal part of the engine , no rubber or plastic washers or spacers between the mounting surfaces, if this is all correct have the garage connect a test light on the alternator, one side of test light earthed and the other side on the battery light terminal. if the test light goes out when the motor is running then your battery light wire may be shorting somewhere

#8 ·
Ha. I know.

Things have generally inproved, but sometimes I just think that things are just too unnecessarily complicated. Probably because manufacturers have a vested interest in trying to get you tied in to use them for service etc.

In the ‘old days’ you replaced your car because it was rotting away and that in itself generated churn, but now cars body work is so better designed and constructed, they have to find other ways to sell motors.
Just my 2c.

Sorry to hijack the thread..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.