Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbour who drives a small Citroen diesel van changed the oil and filters about 4 months ago and didn't replace the engine bay undertray - He was heard to say there's no need for that it's a darn nuisance (or words to that effect) - it goes just as well without it - two days a go his engine seized up suffering a broken timing belt due to small stones and dirt getting in around the auxillary belt which broke and jammed round the timing cover and susequently broke the timing belt. He is now facing a bill for a couple of grand and he can't do any work because he is self-employed. Many people don't replace them just because they make working under the engine awkward. The undertray isn't just there for good looks or noise reduction but also helps keep out dirt, gunge and of course water spray from the road surface. I know it's a pain to take off and on but think of the money it could save.
P.S. I often wonder how many modern cars cut out during wet weather because the undertray is missing or damaged.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Really good point

- I noticed the other day how close to ground level the auxillery belt was (air con compressor) - my previous Mark 3 espace did not have an undertray - but I guess newer cars are designed with an undertray in mind. It now sounds dumb - but I though one reason was to catch any fluid leaks e.g. oil

Cheers

Nigel

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
:rofl: lol bet he wont do that again.
ive worked with a few mechs like that and tbh its just lazyness,and they hit out with excuses like"plastic crapp does nothing for the car" now i have some ammo lol

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh you tell them Alex - a garage near me has a bunch of undertrays lying round the back - I counted a least 20 - it's only a matter of time before somebody sues them - although I think manufacturers could make them of better quality and a bit easier to fasten and unfasten - the Laguna tray is fitted with bolts that seize up and end up spinning and you have to resort to the angle grinder.:)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
thats also true, they are made of crapp, the best one ive seen is the octavia's(lol never thought i would be saying that about a skoda lol:crazy: ).

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Never had any trouble removing refitting my undertray, just put a little oil on all the bolts before replacing.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
They're also there to smooth airflow under the car.It has been proved in the past that the undertrays improve fuel consumption by making the car more aerodynamic at speed.:)

They are a pain sometimes,but they're there for a reason!:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts