Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.
New top all this. I've just purchased a newly converted 2007 master ambulance. The previous owner hasn't touched the electrics.
When I came out the other day, the battery was flat and gone. I've fitted a new battery and done a parasitic battery check, and the system seems to be drawing about 1.2 amps. When I disconnect some of the ambulance equipment it drops considerably. Why would the system be drawing? I thought the VSRs work to isolate the system when the engine isn't running.
I've attached a pic of under the driver seat and the mission equipment to help.
If any one has advice or even wiring diagrams of this I would be very appreciative.
Thanks
Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Think this is a bit out of our league, not exactly Oem is it ***x1f61b;, and we don't know what all this equipment is that you are taking about or how it's been wired up, would have thought the most sensible thing to do would be to contact the people that built it

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Some specific things on the back of an ambulance :
Interior lights, several chargers for heart monitoring equipment and suction unit, power for the electric motor pulling a stretcher in (raising or lowering it also), if equipped with that. Ventilator in the roof.. Often electric appliances are controlled in the back on one panel.
Then the other stuff like emergency lights on the outside, can be variable in places and how many they installed.
Siren, PA, radio equipment , search light .....

Sometimes a not moving ambulance on a scene pulls more electricity than the alternator can provide. So often a second battery and heavy duty alternator are fitted. Or crews know the limits more or less.
Thank God for Led lights

Doesnt explain the photo spaghetti though. Its not just without a reason that ambulances catch fire more frequent than the average car. At least here they do.
Its all different one builder to an other , .. as was suggested.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
ALL the things you mentioned would have been removed.
None would still be fitted..
The wiring will be from someone converting it to a mobile home..
Only issue is, Not many people bother to make a wiring diagram up, label what each cable is for.
Then its a nightmare.
For how much sleeves with numbers/letters cost to do a really professional job is pennies compared to the hours of frustration trying to trace wires..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Markers-heat-shrink-LARGE-SIZE-STRIP-of-10-same-no-HSMLrollx-10/182167100193?hash=item2a6a015b21:m:msY2BtCTip44FaeOZsmWaXg:rk:1:pf:0

For anyone contemplating this job..
For your own sake use these..

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Ok, I thought he/she bought an ambulance and wanted to rebuild that into a motorhome.
As 10 years lifespan for an ambulance would be very normal here.. then they go to some wholesales and make their way to the next owner.

An ambulance is already a remake, out here sometimes 'made in Poland' or 'made in back yard' but the UK ones are more industrially made, i think ?

If a motorhome made from an ambulance, it means a remake from a remake... Thats a hard thing to figure out indeed.
Altough the inside can be useful, I guess. Interior lights and some points to 12V are still necessary.
Keeping one exernal spot,.. and strip all obsolete wiring as much as possible.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
If its possible to turn ANY vehicle into a motorhome in this Country, someone will try..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Just joined as I have a similar problem to you with ambulance electrics, I have a similar battery/VSR setup under drivers seat. What I have discovered so far is that whoever decommissions these ambulances is a complete t**t, In mine they have just cut wires & left them bare, some had fuses removed to stop them being live, most have just been cut & wound up in the dash.
The only good thing with mine is that it was almost fully kitted & not messed about with other than the above so I at least can start the process of finding out where stuff goes & why other stuff doesn't work (hopefully?)
If you do manage to find some sort of wiring diagram give us a shout as I don't want to do what i've seen others do & just rip it out and start over, cheers & good luck Bondi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts