Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Car is a MkII Espace Petrol 2.0i.

Last few days with engine running and car stationary - initial quarter turn of Steering Wheel right or left causes several 3 or 4 Clicks apparently from the Steering Box as tested with Hand on Box.

After the initial quarter turn of Steering Wheel >> no more Clicks.

No apparent Clicks when driving - only when Stationary or just moving off.

Actual Steering completely smooth either at standstill or driving - no feeling of the Click etc up through to the Steering Wheel - but can be sensed with hand on Steering Box.

No Fluid Leaks or loss. No noice from Pump. Definitely not suspension or transmissions etc.

Anybody any thoughts?

Looks like I can still purchase a replacement Rack if I want.

Would like to keep the old 'War Horse' if possible - looking great since Vinyl Wrapping here and there.

Trying to assess costs etc as carried out much work on vehicle - runs on LPG - and just passed MOT etc.

Best Rgds to All.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
5,248 Posts
Any play in the joints in the steering shaft or there pinch bolts.
are the steering rack bolts tight?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Yes been thinking further on this - I going to check all fixings next few days see if I can spot something - I suppose you could call the noise half between a Click and a Creaking.

From exploded parts diagram of typical Steering Box - I cannot see what would make the type of noise.I have - as I said previosuly Steering really good and firm and smooth.

Will get back either with success or failure ( Poem 'IF' )
Best Rgds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts