Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I normally perform 1-2 windscreen repairs per week, however, this week - I've repaired 7.

I wondered what had caused this increase (not complaining, though ;) ), then it struck me.

We are approaching the end of the financial year. Our local authority (and your's too, I'm willing to bet) suddenly start spending money like it was about to go out of fashion. This includes the Roads Department, who suddenly realise that potholes are to be filled (not argued over, and compensated for), and that ruts need levelled & re-surfaced.

It is this action which is the source of the problem - the roads are finished off the 'lazy way', a layer of tar coupled with an extra-thick coating of loose stones, which get kicked-up by the vehicle in front, into your path. Some hit the paint, some hit the glass - most of them cause damage.

So at the risk of losing some business, keep an extra bit of distance between yourself and the traffic in front - it can make all the difference.

A wise man will learn from his mistakes - a wiser man will learn from the mistakes of others!

Paul:)

S

·
0 Posts
Sage advice indeed! I'm frankly appalled at the state of the roads around Manchester. The ZT-T has pretty firm suspension and I'm in the process of looking for a replacement as I can't stand it any more. I'm either bouncing around over bumps or finding it impossible to get any power through the front wheels. It's no suprise to me that I now know of several people, including me, who's road springs have broken - a problem I didn't even know happened until recently. What the hell do we pay our road tax for?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It used to be the case that the road tax went on road maintenance/improvement - those days have long since past. Now it is used as a cash-cow for propping up other government departments/overheads, acting as a punitive 'environmental tax'.

Forgot to add about windscreen chips/cracks - if one does occur (and its happened to me too), a wee tip for minimising any damage, and preventing water/dirt from entering;
  • at the earliest opportunity apply a small quantity of clear superglue to the impact point, it only takes a few seconds to dry - it will add strength to the damaged area (reducing the risk of further splitting and will prevent contaminants from getting into the laminated layer), which are otherwise impossible to remove completely.
Don't worry about making the repair difficult - the repairer has to drill into the hole to create an access point for filling anyway. And in actual fact, you are allowing him/her the best opportunity for giving you a best-case scenario result.

Paul:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts