Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

It has been a weary introduction to owning a renault.

I have a sunroof leak and a couple of queries that go with it. It is definately the sunroof and not the ariel as I have had this off and re sealed with a good silicone and tested with a hose.

I have checked the downpipes and these are clear, and although kinked at the end behind the front wheels, the water does come out. Is it possible that this kink alone causes the water to back up in the sun roof when there is a downpour??

I have also greased the velvet type seal around the sunroof glass and also the rubber one which goes around the frame suround. Has any one got any ideas to progress this?

Also, when seals are replaced, is the glass one or the frame one.

I have read the clio FAQ for this but am stuck.

Thanks

SM:crazy:

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
If there is any restriction like a kink this could be the problem, if you pour some water into the open sunroof well it should come out of the end of the pipe very quickly. I know mine are clear and straight but in a heavy downpour I still get a small leak into the car.

check this thread.......

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/interiors/1419-pond.html?highlight=pond

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Does anybody know if the only kink is the one at the point of outlet behind the front wheels? If this is the only one I will chop it at the kink point.

Thanks

SM

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too suffered the dreaded pond in my scenic. After reading many threads on this forum I tried all the suggested remedies. I unblocked all four drainage channels and yes they were blocked but this didn't cure the problem! I cleaned up my sunroof channels, nope. Cleared my windscreen scuttle drains, alas no also. Thought I would check inside conections for drainage channels and ariel. I removed most of the headliner in the car and left a slow but steady hosepipe running on top of my car. I couldn't believe it when I spotted the smallest trickle in two spots at the top of my windscreen where the water was coming through. From here it runs along the headliner, down the side windscreen trims, to the back of the dash and into the footwell. I sealed the whole windscreen along the headliner with clear silicon and put the headliner back. I have removed and been air drying the foam from under the frount carpets for a week now they were soaked through I had to scoop out all of the water. We have had tonnes of rain in the week since I sealed the screen in fact it hasn't let up for a full day yet and so far BONE DRY!! All thats left now is to keep my fingers crossed and hope my post helps out someone who is also at the faulty towers stage of whipping their car with its ariel. lol.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You have hit the nail on the head!

The only way to truly find a water leak into a car is to take things apart.Until you can actually see the trickle of water coming in,your only guessing where the water is entering.You've also found out just how much water can be held in the floor soundproofing!

Great post,thank you for your time.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the post.............My leak is definately the sunroof as It travels across the roof and down into the door frame seal on the inside. Looks like I'll have to have the lining off.

I noted from the post that there are four drainage channels, I was only aware of the two at the front of the sunroof. where are the others please?

I have a haynes bible, but it dips out on the sunroof paragraph, and refers it back to renault.:confused:

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Thanks for the post.............My leak is definately the sunroof as It travels across the roof and down into the door frame seal on the inside. Looks like I'll have to have the lining off.

I noted from the post that there are four drainage channels, I was only aware of the two at the front of the sunroof. where are the others please?

I have a haynes bible, but it dips out on the sunroof paragraph, and refers it back to renault.:confused:
drainage channels vary by model, you can have 2 at the front, or 2 front / 2 back or like my clio none!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that..

I have noticed that above the front drainage channels there is a rubber seal. This doesnt run all the way around and is about 10mm short at either end.

There is also a point just back from the front of the sunroof which is pretty low on the channel.

I think that both of these could be easy overflow points, and will therefore be the next places which get sealed up.

If no joy I'll wait until summer to have a look

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Re your drainage channels, if you carefully remove the trim around the inside of the sunroof you will be able to pull the liner down and see if you have two more channels at the rear of the sunroof as it's almost impossible to spot the by looking in the sunroof gap itself (if you know what I mean).

Above and beyond that, unless you take the car apart it's a game of trial and error. I had a leakage into the rear footwell of my previous Lag and it took me about three or four months to eventually locate the source - where the electrical wires run from the roof space to the boot hatch. From here the water had run down the rear column, past the rear light cluster, into the boot space, along the side of the boot space, under the rear seats and eventually into the footwells.

Good luck though, you're gonna need it - sorry to be pessemistic but leaks are by far the worst thing on a motor - drive you absolutely bonkers:crazy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dont be so sure its the channels. I thought this was also the case in my car because I only ever saw water in my footwells never on the headliner and all posts on here seemed to point that way. On pulling the headliner down at the frount top windscreen I saw the tiny leaks. I only removed the headliner so I could check the tubing for the drainage channels. When the headliner is in place the water collects and runs along the headliner to its nearest point of exit, the headliner keeps dry on the inside of the car as the water does not stay there but runs off along the edges of the headliner. Depending on the gradiant you park your car, I would have thought would depend on where this water exits. Possible for it to drain to your seatbelt posts? not sure just don't rule it out. There is a diagram on these posts of where the drainage channels are located and some great photos of where the channels exit behind the wheels. Sorry but don't know how to provide a link, also new at this.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have the same issue on my 02 clio where the area by the sun visor of the front passenger is always soaking wet when its raining.

I had the drain pipes cleaned out 2 weeks ago by a mechanic. But its still leaking when it rains. However its not dripping like it used to anymore. Its better but its even better if I could eliminate it as its making a huge stain on the headlining :(

As I'm no good with car, I took the car to the garage again to check it out. Basically I was told to either replace the sun roof for £300-£400 or get another car. I cant afford either at the moment.

Not sure what to do next :( I'm no good with cars as I'm afraid of breaking something. However, I've actually managed to peep (with a lot of difficulty) above the headlining to look at the drain pipe of the sunroof when its raining. I can see the pipe is wet and the water seem to flow from the pipe onto the visor area. I'm tempted to take the headlining down but I dont know how. Please can someone advise me on a step-by-step guide?

Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
removing grey headliner

Please dont take this reply as your bible but here is how I half removed mine.
First remove all visable screws from visors and the above door handles and blanks. This done each attachment should just pull away from the roof with a small amount of pressure. Then I pulled off the black door seal at the top of the door frame but don't remove compleatly from the door as its hard to get it back in the same place! You should then be able to pull down the headliner enough to get the nozzle of your silicon gun into where the tubes are leaking. Word of warning!!! Wedge the headliner away from where you are siliconing, if not it will stick fast and will be murder to remove in future. Once dry, test area by flowing a hose from the outside over the sunroof area and sit inside to keep watch. I placed my hand into the liner to feel for the water rather than looking in as this was easier. Replace all in reverse. Sorry Im not sure how you completely remove the top console in the centre of the roof maybe someone else can. Good luck mate I know how frustrating this is.:crazy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Headliner removal

I think momo and me should say nice tip to you Chris m. As I said in previous post someone may have a more detailed post re removal of headliner and you have!!! Cheers mate. Momo, not sure how to leave a link but Chris M has a post about removing a sunroof in a clio. As most renaults have the dreaded leak I suppose design is much alike so I should imagine headliner removal is the same. Chris M's link below (hope u don't mind?) :d

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/interiors/20028-clio-sunroof-removal-how.html#post166641

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your tips

Thank you for your kind responses and tips on removing the headliner, hamsarnie and chris m. I'll shall try them :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts