Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through the forums and this seems to be a common problem. I have a Clio RT 1.4 M reg 1995.

When I turn the key all the dash board lights come on as normal but there is no life out of the car, it doesnt even turn over. I just hear a strange clicking sound for about 3 seconds. I've checked all battery connections ensuring they are well lubricated and tight. I will checked the battery voltage tomorrow at work but I dont think this is the cause. I can jump the car off fine but still wont restart once the engine is turned off. This to me indicates the starter motor. It has happened before and then it suddenly starts up. But its became more and more frequent, until now when it doesnt even start at all.

Where would I find the starter motor, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to looking under the bonnet.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi there do yourself a favour and go over all the earth connections from the battery to the body to the engine! take then off and clean both the terminals and the contact points with emery paper,
you should find the starter at the rear of the engine between the drive shaft and the manifold! but this really depends on the engine fitted, if not there itl be at the front of the engine between the engine block and radiator, the exh down pipe runs round the back of it!
first id get someone to try and crank it over while you give the exciter wire a wiggle, that wire is the thin wire going to the rear of the starter motor, suffer from corrosion build up on the terminal, if it works replace the terminal and put some grease around it to keep it clean!
good luck bigshow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To throw a spanner in the works, I've just went out there and tired it and it fired up first time. This is very strange considering I havnt been able to start it since Saturday evening, its not Monday afternoon. Mystrey, I'm going to have to get it sorted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to work fine today in the car, coming home it wouldnt start had to be pushed off. Anyway after reading the above post I think i may have figured the problem. I located the starter motor and the grey cable to it was loose, pushed it back on fully and it started up fine. Tomorrow i will get some emre paper from work and clean the contacts. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Apart from this grey cable what other cables go to the starter mottor? Due to its location I could only see this one.

Many thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts