Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The propshaft bearings on our Trekka were replaced about 15 months / 8000 miles ago. We now have an intermittent howling noise around 40mph and when on over-run which is yet to be diagnosed.

If you have a Trekka or RX4 with a refurbished propshaft; how reliable has it proved to be?

The noise may prove to be something else entirely, but the propshaft is a known Trekka issue – hence my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The propshaft bearings on our Trekka were replaced about 15 months / 8000 miles ago. We now have an intermittent howling noise around 40mph and when on over-run which is yet to be diagnosed.

If you have a Trekka or RX4 with a refurbished propshaft; how reliable has it proved to be?

The noise may prove to be something else entirely, but the propshaft is a known Trekka issue – hence my question. Thanks.
Come on Trekka owners. Some of you must have had your propshaft bearings replaced. How long has the fix lasted? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Come on Trekka owners. Some of you must have had your propshaft bearings replaced. How long has the fix lasted? Thanks.
My Merc bearings lasted less than 12 months before they developed an unbearable noise. These bearings had single rubber seals each side (2RS). Luckily I had kept the bearings from the original perished centre bearings which I cleaned and regreased. These bearings have double seals each side hence much better protection from the elements.

Please note that howling noise can also come from the exhaust. My Trekka is still a wee bit noisy at 2700 rpm but the noise became less pronounced after renewing rubber exhaust suspension mountings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The howling noise at 40mph seems to have gone. We put the Trekka into the local village garage. No howl during two test drives! Noise came back afterwards - French poltergeist?

However they did spot that the n/s track rod end was quite worn. (Not noticeable when driving.)

It was replaced a few days later since when there has been no howl. I was convinced it was more serious, but don't understand how a track rod end could produce noise. Perhaps the wheel bearing or another steering component was resonating. At least it was a cheaper fix than a £425 propshaft!

B.E :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that they are different. They are certainly sold as two distinct products by http://www.davemacprops.com/ and http://www.driveshaftstore.co.uk/index.php

I seem to recall that John at DaveMac says that the Trekka prop splits but the RX4 is one piece.

I have a (replaced) Trekka propshaft that needs a new rear bearing if you need it - taking up space in the garage.

Our Trekka had a new prop from DaveMac last year (£450) which beats the local Renault dealer price of £711+VAT+ fitting.

B.E

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.