Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My censors are OK and work properly however it appears that I have an air leak in my rear offside tyre. The censor tells me when I need to put some air in, the tyre is fairly new and has been checked for leaks. It appears that there is a slight leak from around the censor.

It is so slight that I only have to 'top up' every 3 or 4 weeks. Is there any way of curing this other than spending a fortune at a Renault dealer?

Dave

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it's coming from the valve core,then this can be changed easily and cheaply.

If it's coming from around where the valve fits in the wheel,then it might be possible to seal it but I can't for the life of me remember how the valves are mounted in the wheels!.

I'd wait for other replies before deciding what to do!:eek:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I take it that someone has immersed the wheel/tyre in water to determine that its coming from the sensor area, and not just the rim becoming porous?

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Hi,

I had a slight leak (dropped about 1-2 psi in a week) from the valve (monitor type) - when there was fluid on e.g. WD40 I could see slight bubbling on the outside of the threaded portion just in front of the outer nut - just nipped this up a bit 10mm socket (if I remember correctly) this cured the problem.

Hope this helps, but I guess it depends if the valve design you have is similar.

Nige

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info chaps. I did take it to a friendly garage they took the wheel off and yes there is a small leak from around the censor. They took the tyre off but he felt if he put to much pressure on the censor it would break, best left as it was.

I set all the tyres at 30 and the sensor tells me when the rear offside is 27, as stated this takes about 3 weeks to loose 3lb. Did you use the WD40 to check the leek or to help undo the censor?

Dave

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Dave,

I initially squirted a drop of WD40 onto the threads of the valve as they looked slightly corroded - it was after that i saw a slight bubbling at the base of the valve thread at the nut - nipped this up slightly and bubbling stopped - not got any drop in air pressure since. Like you I used to top up one tyre every 2 weeks or so. The valves probably are fragile - so kept nipping up slightly and testing with a drop of WD40 - I would think the nut I am talking about will be a faily low torque. It might just be worth you checking - if there are no air bubbles showing it is possibly something else.

By the way the first time I topped up the tyre pressures one tyre (a different one) kept deflating - valve stuck open - before it totally deflated I picke up the nearest tool (a twig) pocked + prodded the valve and it eventually went back on its seating - not very technical, but has worked ever since.

I think these valves can be a bit sensitive sometimes - a bit like some family members I know - age! (sorry very politically correct - not)

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi

i have the exact same problem for the last 5 months and now i really cant put up with it any more!!!
i tried to tighting up the nut but still not solved the leaking, just wondering if possible to remove the valve and change the seal or anything that can solve the problem????

thanks!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi everyone I thought I would give an update. I did as suggested and sprayed WD40 on the valves of all four wheels and also checked my tyre pressures. Today I checked my tyre pressures again and they were the same, no leak.

It's marvellous what WD40 can do.:)

PS: If I wanted to change just the valve are they the long or short valves fitted.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi everyone I thought I would give an update. I did as suggested and sprayed WD40 on the valves of all four wheels and also checked my tyre pressures. Today I checked my tyre pressures again and they were the same, no leak.

It's marvellous what WD40 can do.:)

PS: If I wanted to change just the valve are they the long or short valves fitted.
Did you really mean the core?, as the TPM is infact the valve body .... the cores come in 2 sizes I believe, large for cars, and small for bikes and motor bikes.

hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
DeeBeeS,

Glad this helped - I originally put WD40 on to prevent/slow any corrosion to the threads. The off shoot to this it can show up where leaks may be and maybe help the valve seat as it should. I am not sure what materials are in the valve and someone more in the know may not recommend WD40 - anyway I do tend to experiment with things sometimes to get a result, sometimes to my regret.

I guess these are not major issues, but this tyre pressure monitor business can't half make things annoying - you can talk youself into thinking it does'nt really matter, but every time you start your car it's there to remind you.

I had a slow leak and one tyre that deflated as soon as i tried to pump it up - recently I have not had to touch them for the past month (even though tyre pressure checks are recommended every 2 weeks) - I guess if the tyre pressure monitors were fooling me I would still be happy!

Nige

Nige

1 - 12 of 12 Posts